Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i haven't rode my fourwheeler in 2 weeks and now it wont start at all the lights all come on like they should and it when i ever i push the start button i get nothing(it is on the run position)also the lights dont go dim or anything and they seem just as bright. im befudled. cause it wont make a click or anything.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LaTeR @ Mar 1 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fuse or connection![/b]
well last race my trinity programer got raped by my chain and im thinking with it setting in our shed for the past 2 weeks it got condinsation on it and ruined it because i tried pushing it down a hill and poping the clutch and it tried to turn over but didn't start and the fi light started flashing. but then i tried again push starting it and it did the same tried to turn over but the fi light didnt' flash so i dont' know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (farmboytoyracing @ Mar 1 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well last race my trinity programer got raped by my chain and im thinking with it setting in our shed for the past 2 weeks it got condinsation on it and ruined it because i tried pushing it down a hill and poping the clutch and it tried to turn over but didn't start and the fi light started flashing. but then i tried again push starting it and it did the same tried to turn over but the fi light didnt' flash so i dont' know.[/b]

well i got to looking to night and i took everything apart and checked every fuse i could find on the bike and most of the wiring and still no luck. i got to thinking with the programer being ruined possible something with that so i tried disconnecting it but with it getting condensation on it could it have ruined the coil. next what about the starter solenoid or relay.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If the starter doesn't start when you push the on the button,check your solenoid.Bypass it to check if the bike start.If the motor turn over when you bypass the solenoid,check your connection near de solenoid and if you have juice that enter in smaller wire on the solenoid when you push the start button. Then if you have juice,this is the solenoid the problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FoxMxRiders @ Mar 3 2009, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok check that and if you have problem,just ask[/b]

alright tonite i got some time to look and i checked the battery with a test light it came up good i haven't broken out the volt meter yet. then i check there is a wire running off of the starter it would be toward the right side of the starter if you setting on the bike and traced it back to what looked to be a relay right underneath the fuses for ignition and main fuse. and i got nothing from that. now are there two connections directly on the starter. also if that was the relay that i check(by the batter and the main,ign. fuse.) were is the solenoid.

thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
The relay that you talk is the solenoid.

You aren't getting nothing on the pole of the relay ? you need to get some juice on one side (wire from the battery) and when you push the starter button you will also get juice on the other side of the relay (the wire getting to the starter)

If your not getting nothing on the relay,check if you have juice on the yellow/black wire from the relay.You should getting juice if your killswitch switch (up to the start button) and key switch is on.

If you have some juice,check on the black wire from the blob if you have juice when you push the start button.If you have some,check if you getting juice on the clutch switch and make sure this switch work correctly.When you push the clutch switch (pull the clutch),your switch does the connection and ground all this system to activate the solenoid and make contact on bigger wire of the relay.

You can also try to bypass the relay with a screwdrive (warning that will make sparks) to check if the starter turn.

Also Im sure that you check your fuse first ... if not check that in first

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
this ones a long shot but you never know......Mine pulled the same crap but during riding. Turned out a wire had come out of that clutch safety switch. To check it is easy, unplug the connector coming from the switch and short it out with something then try it. If it starts well then problem solved, if not keep diggin.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks to all you who chimed in and put in a word of advice i really do appreciate it. i figured out the problem and it is the starter relay. thanks for dealing with my lack of knowledge i haven't had my ltr long so i still have to learn step by step on were everything is located and how to diagnose it.

if you couldn't tell im not very good around electronics.

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
I know this thread is long gone but how did ^^ figure out it was the starter relay? What were the signs? Because mine is acting the same way and I am thinking it couuld be my starter relay. All I get it a click. The battery stays on a tender all the time and is only 7 months old.

Something is drawing a big load when I hit the starter button...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts