Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crashed pretty hard a few weeks ago and the bike rolled a few times. It wouldn't start there after and I had a ton of fuel in my cylinder. Once I got the fuel outta there and got it started, it ran like shit. After the bike warmed up it would stall at idle and while riding it. Usually in about 5mins. Once the bike stalled it wouldn't start until the bike cooled down. The damn bike would just keep cranking like it was flooded. I changed out the fuel injector thinking it might of been sticking since the bike would need more fuel when its cold and less when its warm. I'm thinking TP sensor next but not sure. I already replaced my fuel pressure regulator so I doubt its that.. Anyone that has any suggestions please feel free to post. Thanks for reading..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't have any trouble codes. Will be putting a new plug in tomorrow. I don't know if I can check the fuel pressure with the bike not running..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i'm gonna put the plug in tomm and check the fuel psi.. thanks for your info

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sounds like to me that you've got a valve train issue...like your valve adjustment may be off or you need new valves and seats...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't think its the valves.. I just had my motor rebuilt and I only have about 8 hours on it. I had the head port and polished, 13.5 JE piston, Yoshi cpu.. The motor has been running fine until I crashed.. I already switched out the throttle body.. I dunno but I'm gonna check it out tomm. Fresh plug, fuel pressure test, clean fuel pump screen .. I'll keep everyone updated.. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't think its the valves.. I just had my motor rebuilt and I only have about 8 hours on it. I had the head port and polished, 13.5 JE piston, Yoshi cpu.. They motor has been running fine until I crashed.. I think its gotta be the tp sensor and my fuel pressure regulator.. AGAIN.. I dunno but I'm gonna check it out tomm. Fresh plug, fuel pressure test, volt meter on the tps.. I'll keep everyone updated.. Thanks for the replies
When they rebuilt the engine did they do the valves?

I doubt it any of the above stated because the bike runs when it's cold...

My boys bike does the same thing..when it's cold the bike fires up and runs fine...gets hot and doesn't want to run..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No my valves weren' t done.. bike ran good after the motor was built ... ur saying they might be out of spec?.. need to be shimmed?. Replaced?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
No my valves weren' t done.. bike ran good after the motor was built ... ur saying they might be out of spec?.. need to be shimmed?. Replaced?
Sounds like they need replaced....his are shimmed correctly but that's the only thing I didnt replace and it does the same exact things...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Remember that the problem started after the crash. I dont believe that a valve train issue would start after a crash, this would be a "wearing down over time" problem. I believe that everything is pretty much secured down in the engine , I would start thinking of something coming loose during the crash.....electrical connect ?? PC III connec...?? The fuel in the cylinder has me stumped. This is just my guess. Hope you find problem...let us know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i changed the spark plug, checked all my wiring, disconnected the yoshi PIM and my bike still doesn't wanna fire up. I am having problems finding a oil pressure gauge or any pressure gauge to check my fuel psi.. I read on this site somewhere that if you blow into the fuel pressure regulator and you can blow through it then its bad. I still have my old tank with my bad fuel regulator and I can blow through that one and I can also blow through the one on my bike as well.. I am blowing through it right at the fuel connect that goes into the tank at the fuel pressure regulator.. Does anyone know about that being true as far as blowing into the fuel pressure regulator?.. Cuz I read that if you can blow through it the diaphragm is bad and if you can't blow through it the diaphragm is good. When my bike was running it was getting flooded so it makes sense that my fuel was dumping into the cylinder but it doesn't make sense that ironically this all happened when I crashed.. I appreciate everyone's help and I'm still gonna keep messing with it and hopefully figure this bs out.. Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still looking where in the heck to get a gauge from.. I tried the napa, autozone and and advanced auto by me... none of them have a psi gauge for what i'm gonna use it for... Now when i measure it with the gauge, it would tell me that the fpr is bad even if my bike isn't starting?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I ended up getting a oil pressure gauge but its junk and I ended up returning it. I'm gonna get a better one which is easier to use. I just wanna make sure that when I hook the gauge up I do it right... Ok, so I'll hook up the pressure gauge to the fuel pump and then the fuel regulator to the pressure gauge?.. bypassing the throttle body?.. and when I turn the key on it should read 42 psi?.. Just double checking before I go ahead and do it.. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tested the fuel pressure just as the manual describes. Fuel pressure is 42psi when i turn the key on so I guess I'm not having a fuel related issue. I have tried everything, disconnected and reconnected every coupler, checked for frayed wires.. I really don't know what else to check. I put a brand new throttle body in so it should not be that.. Anyone got any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
Pull the injector out of the throttlebody(with the wires and hoses still connected) and crank it. you should get a fuel spray from the end of the injector. Pull the coil off the plug and install a spare plug into it and lay it against the valve cover and crank it. see if you have spark.

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
are the symptims the same, starts and runs when cold but not when warm?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts