Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 LT-R450 and was unable to start it after it sat in my basement for a couple weeks, took it to a shop where they tried to tell me I needed new intake and exhaust valves and a new piston and rings, I found this hard to believe seeing how I have never had a problem running it and when I parked it everything was fine.

I took it to another mechanic and he said nothing was wrong with my parts, cleaned them, honed the cylinder and put it back together with new rings and gaskets.

It will not start with the electric start and I just bought a new battery and still will not start. It will start and runs great when roll started, but it will not sit at an idle it just dies.

Any suggestions on what to check? Also before I took it to the first shop I check my fuel injector, fuel pressure, coil, spark plug, fuel filter and fuel pump so I know all of that is good.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Did you check your valve clearance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally found what I was looking for and you are exactly right, I think that's what is wrong, will check in the morning!

As for the idling problem it was just something I overlooked, it was the vacuum line that goes to the throttle body had came off and I didn't notice.

Hopefully it's just the valve clearance and I'll fix it tomorrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Valves clearance was too right on both exhaust and intake. Ordered a shim kit that will be here tomorrow and I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm sure that is your issue

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corrected the valve clearances intake is now at 1.1 and exhaust is at 2.3 however still will not crank with starter. Looking at now maybe the starter clutch has gone bad? Starter doesn't whine, it sounds like it might be in a bind or the battery doesn't have enough juice to spin it over but the battery is new and has 12 volts. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Also check the decompression mechanism on the exhaust cam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled my starter out again and it is burnt up this time so I'll be ordering one and should be in next week hopefully this is the last thing that is wrong and it will crank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the new starter in and it tries to turn it over and then the starter just starts whining. I'm about ready to just give up hah

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the new starter in and it tries to turn it over and then the starter just starts whining. I'm about ready to just give up hah

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
are you getting spark while trying to start it?

also, what is the load on the battery when starting it. These LTR's are finicky about the battery. Runs great when bump started huh? hmmmm...

try this. Put it in 5th gear. Roll it a foot or so forward making sure the back tires are not locked up. Put it back in neutral then try to start it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It starts fine when bump started now the new starter just spins free and makes a whining noise. Checked the one way starter bearing and it only spins one way like its suppose to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts