Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

Wants Some Advice

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  SandJunkie 
#1 ·
I've been lookin at skids since I tend to go off the trail a lot and dont want this wheeler to look like my last.

I've been lookin at pro amror, not for the name, but it has the highest "front" coverage for the a-arms. I looked at prm's also, but there not as tall and i was questionable of the "sandwich" type of mounting. wouldnt that scratch up the frame more than sticks, saplings, rocks more from rubbing? If any one knows of plastic or poly(something...used on rally cars if you know what i mean) ones those would b great.

I hate being brand spefic but P.A. had the skid that stood out to me, same as the a-arms, cuz it covers up the side of the frame or atleast it looked like it. any one ever try the stainless steel one?

prm's swing arm appears good but the whole front mounting situation and removing the chain guide? i seen a few things on it people said it held up just fine, still holding up? any guards that allows the chain guide to stay and cover the whole swingarm+shock linkage?

ive never owned any guards before so i just want some opinions towards something thats gonna keep my frame from gettin all the paint scratched off and start rusting, and since there is nothing for the body and swingarm. i wont want a rotor lookin like some of the pics on here.

any thoughts would b appriciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Your worried about scratching up your frame? Don't worry, your frame will be fine.

A arm guards aren't very good because they collect mud, they lower your ground clearance, and they add uneccessary weight, that's why no XC pros run them.
Rocks that are large enough to hit your A Arms need to be avoided in the first place.

If you have your heart set on running some A Arm guards or any type of belly skid then get some sheet rubber. Maybe 1/8" thick or even a little thinner.. cut it to fit and wrap this around the A arm or frame where the "sandwiching" occurs, then wrap this rubber with some black tape. Now you have a nice padded area to protect you frame from being scrached up :)

#3 ·
hey thanks for the reply
me n a buddy were talking and our other buddy can get lexan (for free :D ) so we where thinkin bout just making some stuff outta that since its bulletproof and possibly a little lighter than aluminum.

#4 ·
Lexan will about 45 seconds into a ride. Do yourself a favor, get the 1/8" PRM belly skid and do like Quad Gawd said, put some super thin rubber under it if you must, then put the 1/4" swingarm skid out back. I have had PRM on every brand of quad I have ever owned, they will last a very long time.

#6 ·
My vest is bullet proof too but if I drop it on the ground it will crack. :( Bullet proof doesn't mean much. And it's really bullet "resistent". :)
[/b]
THAT doesn't inspire alot of confidence :rolleyes:

#7 ·
ok i know i asked the question and i appriciate all the advice and i'm gonna get the prm belly and swingarm skids like you guys said. the lexan he can get is 3/8 inch thick and i think it would hold up more than even one thinks. maybe ill get a piece and throw it on for an expirement.

#9 ·
try looking into the white plastic that kitchen cutting boards are made out of , it has been used on rockcrawlers sometimes as skidplates , its available in sheets , and diffrent thicknesses , they also use it on the inside of lorries and trucks , so that furniture and heavy stuff slides around on it easily.

#11 ·
Maier has had plastic skid plates for years. Maybe you want to check them out. [/b]
i checked them out but i didnt see anything for the 450. definitly gonna keep an eye out for those thou.

#12 ·
I liked the Proarmor belly plate. It uses clamps instead of a sandwich type mounting...bolted up perfectly. So far I really like their stuff. I would go with the PRM swing arm stuff though. I seems to have the best coverage out of everything I have looked at so far. Only downside I can see is the loss of the chain guide...just my 2 cents... :D

#13 ·
i got the pro armor belly and a arms. i like them so far other than it looks like a 7 yr old cut them out with a drill and dremel :lol: , o well there only there to get damaged...before i got in the skids i was at the local track the n was doing a downhill jump and when i landed completely bottomed out (fatass :p )...i still havnt found the stock skid plate since then...no worries now...oh and the p.a. stuff comes with rubber stickers to put on the skids so it all worked out thanks guys

#14 ·
Glad we could help :banana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.