Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help guys.

I started the day by thinking a valve adjustment would fix a common issue that usually is a valve adjustment problem: hard to start when warm and sluggish acceleration.

When I opened up the motor and took out the cams, I noticed one of the clamps that was holding down the intake side was tightened way too much. I also noticed metal shavings from one of the circular (don't know the exact name) parts of the cam which allows it to rotate. Further more, this had caused so much pressure on this metal part that it would cause pressure on one of the valves and doesn't allow the cover to be removed so I can get to the shim inside. I tried a pretty strong magnet which pulled up all other covers except for this one that just wouldn't budge. I need some suggestions now:

1. How do I re-install the cams which involve the chain tensioner being adjusted. I removed the fuel pump to get to that damn bolt but the bolt is on way too tight and I can't adjust it. Any other way around this? I can't put the cams in place without loosening the chain.

2. What should I do about the clearance issue that is not allowing me to get to the shim. The shims are down to 230 which according to the manual is the smallest size you can put on, otherwise it doesn't really make sense to go smaller. Thus the issue that's causing the hard start problems once hot should only be the resistance from the metal shavings, no?

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I do not have any experience with valve adjustment or changing cams.

Please see attached photos as a reference.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
You can try to cut away the mushroomed out aluminum with a utility knife to get the bucket out. But you are probably going to have excessive clearance at the cam journal. I wouldn't run that head. From the pics, it looks like the head needs replaced.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You could use some plastigauge to measure your oil clearence after you get that rolled lip of alluminum off there. Thats what i would try then make a decision from there.

·
Registered
400 Posts
you have to pull the timing chain tensioner off too. pull the 2 fuel pump bolts out and swing that out of the way of the back of the head, then youll see the tensioner take the 2 allen head bolts out and pull it out of there so you have chain slack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

Valve adjustment was not necessary at all.
Both shims are down to 230 which is the minimum size since going smaller doesn't make sense.
Only one cylinder on the intake side has almost zero clearance. My guess is that this is due to a combination of two factors: a worn cam journal and too much tension on the chain.

The chain is super stiff with no play at all. The bolt is also stuck so I had to pull out the whole assembly.

I'm not sure if I NEED to get a whole new head or cam journal or if I can get away with another solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can try to cut away the mushroomed out aluminum with a utility knife to get the bucket out. But you are probably going to have excessive clearance at the cam journal. I wouldn't run that head. From the pics, it looks like the head needs replaced.
I am only shaving down one edge of the aluminum just so the cylinder can come out. The journal shouldn't be affected any more than it has been by the over-tightened chain and even the damn bolts that held the journal down were way over the recommended 7ft-lbs of tq.
One issue after the other with this damn thing...

I tried searching for a new/lightly used head only but the market doesn't seem to be too great or want to sell items in bulk, not part the head out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Thanks but I'll hold off on shipping it out for now. Too much of a hassle.

Anyone know where I can pick up a set of those C-Rings used to hold the cams in place within the journal? Such a PITA part to find and not worthy of a whole dedicated thread.

·
Registered
2006 ltr 450
6 Posts
Hey there! Having about the same problem. Started with zero clearance on one of the intake valves. Shimmed down as small as the hot cams kit has. Still no clearance to get the thinnest of feeler guages in. I believe the head valve seat need to be repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the equation to solve what clearance i need for my vales i have a red 09 ltr 450 wont run just trying to get answers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts