Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 with stock tires that are on there last leg and i wanted go to a set of 20's and a little wider. I was wondering if i have to/should change the gear ratio. Also what tires do you recommend for the best traction all around. thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Maxxis razr's are hard to beat. And gearing on my xc bike with 20" razr xc's is 13/37. I want to try 14/39 as a 13 tooth is hard on the chain slider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, have you tried 15:35 that is what i was told to run but im still mot sure, and what type of razrs? thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ok, have you tried 15:35 that is what i was told to run but im still mot sure, and what type of razrs? thanks
15/35 with 20" rear tires is gonna be an awfully high gear ratio, you are gonna gain a of top speed but lose a lot of acceleration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, what wold be a good all around ratio? The stock is ok but a little high on the take off. I can out run almost any wheeler top end but i keep getting beat off the line (partly due to loss of traction).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ok, what wold be a good all around ratio? The stock is ok but a little high on the take off. I can out run almost any wheeler top end but i keep getting beat off the line (partly due to loss of traction).
Just drop the front to a 13 tooth sprocket. That will put it close to stock gearing with 20" tall tires on it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Woudn't that put stress on the chain sliders?
Yes it wears then a tad bit quicker but it's the quick and dirty fix.

14/39 is what I want to try but I don't know if it will clear the factory chain slider and sprocket skid.

14/39 = 2.785. (stock front)
13/36 = 2.769 (stock 06/07 rear)
13/37 = 2.846 (stock 08/09 rear)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I've got 21" Parkers on mine and use 13/36 for standard tracks and 14/36 for the high speed tracks. I've never had any slider probs running a 13.

Here's what I've run across in tires:
Razr2 - great grip and wear is really good, kinda pricey
ITP HD - grip is good but wear way too fast, way too pricey
Parker - great grip, great wear, sponsored so don't know
Douglas - great grip, wears good but fronts really thin on sidewall, price don't know

·
Registered
387 Posts
OK how do you figure out witch is faster of the start and witch is more top end?
A lower tooth front sprocket will give you more acceleration, a higher tooth sprocket will give you more top speed.

It's the opposite for the rear sprocket. More teeth will give you more acceleration and less teeth more top end.

The taller the tire the more top speed and the smaller the tire the less top speed you will have.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Maybe this will be helpful some people.

Rear sprocket:
Smaller = more speed.
Larger = more power.

Front sprocket:
Smaller = more power.
Larger = more speed.

More speed means the bike/quad will have a higher top end speed, but lose torque or power.
More power means the bike/quad will have higher torque/power, but lose top end speed.

Most riders will start out by going 2 teeth larger on the rear sprocket. When you get to where you would be going 4 teeth larger, they will usually turn to the counter shaft/front sprocket and change 1 tooth.

You want more torque. Start out with stock front sprocket and 2 teeth more on the rear (example: if you are running a 48 tooth rear sprocket, go to a 50 tooth rear sprocket). If you want even more torque you can drop the counter shaft/front sprocket by just 1 tooth. I would recommend getting a rear sprocket with 2 more teeth and counter shaft/front sprocket with 1 more tooth. Start with the rear sprocket with 2 more teeth and see how it feels. If you still want more, then change the front sprocket to the sprocket with 1 more tooth. You can also just change the front sprocket to one more tooth and leave the rear sprocket stock and see how it feels.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Maybe this will be helpful some people.

Rear sprocket:
Smaller = more speed.
Larger = more power.

Front sprocket:
Smaller = more power.
Larger = more speed.

More speed means the bike/quad will have a higher top end speed, but lose torque or power.
More power means the bike/quad will have higher torque/power, but lose top end speed.

Most riders will start out by going 2 teeth larger on the rear sprocket. When you get to where you would be going 4 teeth larger, they will usually turn to the counter shaft/front sprocket and change 1 tooth.

You want more torque. Start out with stock front sprocket and 2 teeth more on the rear (example: if you are running a 48 tooth rear sprocket, go to a 50 tooth rear sprocket). If you want even more torque you can drop the counter shaft/front sprocket by just 1 tooth. I would recommend getting a rear sprocket with 2 more teeth and counter shaft/front sprocket with 1 more tooth. Start with the rear sprocket with 2 more teeth and see how it feels. If you still want more, then change the front sprocket to the sprocket with 1 more tooth. You can also just change the front sprocket to one more tooth and leave the rear sprocket stock and see how it feels.
That all being said. A trick I learned years ago from watching some top mechanics in the sport was this.

If you can go bigger on both sprockets do it.

Like If you are a 2.85 gear ratio with a 13/36 then you can possibly run a slightly taller gear like a 2.75 with a larger front sprocket and rear sprocket. Itll actually allow the engine to have more leverage on the larger rear sprocket and ill be able to apply more torque to the rear wheels.

Bigger is better but you have to do the math. Lol my big bore 250r I ran a 15/41 gearing for the longest time. It looked like a dirtbike sprocket on the rear. But it was comparable to everyone else's gear ratios at 2.73 and a 14/38 was a 2.71.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, What is the stock gear ratio of a 06, and how much top end would if i raised the rear 2 teeth, and had 20 inch rears? Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Stock gear is 14/36 = 2.57
14/38 = 2.71

·
Registered
4 Posts
I race hare scrambles with my 06, running 20" maxxis bad lands on the back with 22" itp gncc on the front with a 13/39 gear. I'm thinking about going to a 40 rear just to pick up a little more torque. I would rather run a higher gear with more bottom end power than have the top speed. I've never hit the top of fourth gear let alone 5 in a race. You can have a lot of top speed but if it takes you a long time to get there then it's worthless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, thanks ill try the tires on the stock ratio first the if it to slow on acceleration ill try a 13 in front. What is the closest to stock gear ratio for 20's in the rear?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts