Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a lot about deleting the swirl filter and putting in a inline filter. Almost jumped on the band wagon, but started thinking about why it was designed like that. I mean it would be so much simpler for Suzuki to just put a Petcock and inline filter in if that would have worked. There’s a reason why they designed it like that. Not saying it couldn’t be improved. Definitely At the least put a aluminum bowl on it. just like a carburetor has a float bowl full of gas so when your wheeling or slushing the gas around in the tank you always have gas in the carb. I’m sure that’s why there is a swirl filter to insure there is always fuel Supplied to the fuel pump and it doesn’t run dry. So I won’t be eliminating mine, but I will look into a aluminum bowl.

·
Super Moderator
1,313 Posts
Most people just remove the filter and put an inline in. They are not removing the bowl.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I thought of this as well, but I have heard some people having flow problems still. The small inlet tube where the filter attaches doesn’t extend down very far into the bowl which i assume is the problem when you just take the filter out causing it to sometimes not have fuel get in the tube. I think the filter acts like a extension pickup to help get fuel in that little tube inlet. And taking the filter out you have to have the fuel bowl completely full at all times or the inlet tube wouldn’t be able to flow fuel. Now this probably doesn’t happen all the time but I would assume if you were jumping, wheeling, or if your gas tank was low and slushing around could cause a momentary lack of fuel into the filter assembly which would make it not completely full thus the the little inlet tube would not have any fuel to pickup seeing as it is at the highest point of the assembly. I was thinking maybe if you could put a extension tube on that little inlet tube which the filter attaches too so it would be lower in the fuel bowl to be able to get fuel even if the bowl wasn’t completely full.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I decided to go a head and delete the swirl filter after studying the system and why they chose it. I went about it slightly different then others. I did eliminate the filter assembly and used a brass fitting with 3 ports so it can still be vented. But instead of using a plastic filter or one of those glass ones I decided to run a metal automotive style that is larger then those ones. My theory is it will mimic the factory swirl filter Assembly by having more fuel in it so the full pump will never starve of fuel no matter what the gas is doing in the tank. It filters out 10 microns as well and only $6 to replace.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some more testing today out of Curiosity. I took my inline filter back off the quad and capped off one end and filled up the other side with fuel until it topped off. Then I took apart the swirl filter assembly and poured the fuel from the inline filter into the swirl filter bowl and it filled all the way to the top. So basically my filter is holding just as much fuel as the swirl filter assembly. I was hoping it was close so I could mimic the swirl filter assembly which it did so I think this setup should would great…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts