Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my swirl filter setup is leaking from the brass screw that turns the gas flow on & off. i tried making a T to put in its place but now it wont run but will idle. the vent? coming from the top of the tank messing it up? im baffled why it wont run now. damn fuel infection lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody has ever done this? help me out people i wanna ride!!! if it cant be deleted someone sell me a good swirl filter that DOESNT leak lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
i did the same thing you did and had the same problem you did. what i ended up doing was taking that damn filter out of the swirle bowl tearin the bowl apart silicon everything inside there so it wont leak no more and splice the fuel line between your swirle bowl and fuel pump and put one of them clear inline fuel filters in works slick :sly:

·
Registered
73 Posts
My petcock was leaking the same as yours. My o-ring was bad. I went to O'reilly auto part store and found a pack of 9 for $3.99
The number is 64462 Metric O-Tite!
The bar code # is 37495 64462. These fit perfect. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I took mine off and put a inline filter from napa on. plug the line coming off the top of the tank and then get a hose barb that goes from 3/8 to 5/16 and put an inline filter in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I took mine off and put a inline filter from napa on. plug the line coming off the top of the tank and then get a hose barb that goes from 3/8 to 5/16 and put an inline filter in.
KMS did the same thing with mine...Napa filter too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on here that you would have to change the map if you put a inline filter in? True? Or did I read it wrong

·
Registered
471 Posts
Proper ventilation can be a problem when switching to an inline filter. We had problems with the fuel filter running dry even when we had over 1/2 tank of fuel. I bought a brass T fitting that took the place of swirl filter. Came out of the tank on the right (90 degree turn fuel line) with the fuel line and into the T. Came off the top of the tank forward vent line down into the T. Came off the T out the left side of the bike with a Motion Pro fuel petcock then a NAPA fuel filter then the fuel pump. Even after taking the ventilation into account the fuel filter would begin to run dry when the fuel level approached 1/3 tank. Keep the tank full and no problems. Good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bingo!!! i figured the vent off of the top of the tank was what was making it die out. i really appriciate the info fella's now when i get off work im heading to NAPA then fix the ltr. :rock: thanks again everyone im really itching for some seat time before the XC season

·
Registered
74 Posts
My petcock was leaking the same as yours. My o-ring was bad. I went to O'reilly auto part store and found a pack of 9 for $3.99
The number is 64462 Metric O-Tite!
The bar code # is 37495 64462. These fit perfect. Hope this helps!
Thanks!! This is exactly what I need, my screw just started leaking and I have it temporarily fixed with the wrong sized o-ring lol...

·
Registered
471 Posts
We spent two seasons trying to figure out the problems associated with eliminating the swirl filter. I ended up making a T fitting which you can use a plastic nalgene T that doesn't weigh anything and keep the fuel flowing as if you still have the swirl filter. Come out of the bottom of the tank on the right with that crazy 180 degree out. Then go into a T . The T goes up to the top vent on the tank and out the left side of the bike into the Napa fuel filter. Use an inline filter that has a micron pore size for fuel injection systems not carburetors or lawn mowers.

For all you guys actually running the Keihin fuel management system (carburetor). Get rid of all that T crap, and the 180 degree turn hose and come out of the bottom of your tank on the left (the line that actually feeds back to the fuel pressure regulator. Come straight out and into your fuel filter. Done!

·
Registered
639 Posts
35 micron inline earls filter. Same microns as stock swirl. Never had a problem with lack of fuel or vent issues. Swirl set up still under the tank without filter in it is all.

Kinda wondered if I could eliminate that thing seeing that its not used. 3 hoses coming in and out of it is a bit intimidating though.

Attachments

·
frescasipper
801 Posts
I actually prefer the swirl filter setup for my hybrid, works good with my tank, can buy new filters for it, housing fits right in with the heat shield, has an on/off. What's not to like about it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts