Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

Just got my LTR450 up in Canada, precisely in Shefford near Montreal. Took my first 16 KM ride last sunday along Higway 10 trails where lots of mud due to snow melting down was waiting for us.

At the end of the ride as I washed the beast, I found out that the chain guide two lower bolts were sheared off and was holding by the loose upper bolt... the aluminium U shape bracket was bent a little but not to worry. I had to drill and easy-out the broken bolts(2) and I replaced them with stainless bolts. Also,

The rear brake disk protector was sheared off the upper bolt and bent away from the disk, was lucky not to damage the disk, not fixed yet as I would need a new protector.

I think Suzuki should have included in production LTR decent skidplate (not like the plastic one under the engine). After all, for the price we pay (10,700 $ Can. with all taxes ), those protectors should've last more than 1 hour.

Then, surprise, I saw that most of the paint on both side frame was gone, not only scratched but gone to the bare metal primer included. I tought Powder Coating was tougher than that or is it spay paint... Looks like I had it for 2 years !

One possible mod for lubrification : the empty shaft in swingarm pivot, it could get welded plugged on both end, than a grease fitting at one end would be added and two small hole (1/16) get cross drilled in line with pivot bearing to feed the new grease. Beside this, I think they also should've added grease fittings (8) on the forward arms pivot. I will try to investigate on these mods

Enough thinking, let's go ride...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Speed !

Just saw the stuff they have, Nice ! I'm ordering one asap ! plus bottom skid plate and logo bumper !

will post the pics when installed

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by Lastcall

Then, surprise, I saw that most of the paint on both side frame was gone, not only scratched but gone to the bare metal primer included. I tought Powder Coating was tougher than that or is it spay paint... Looks like I had it for 2 years !
If you are talking about the sides of the frame where you put your feet that happens on all ATVs from the boots rubbing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
20" rears and 22" up front. Im running a 13 tooth z400 front sprocket. It works pretty well but I might end up changing the rear sprocket too, depends on how it runs with my 20" 8 paddle haulers. I'll find that out this weekend at Silver Lake, I can't wait!

·
Registered
308 Posts
will i have to change anything with the sprockets if i get the prm swingarm skid plate? Also where did u get the skidplates from , just trying to get places to buy from. Also how much did each of them cost.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Anyone concerned with removing the rear chain guide with the PRM? Personally I am waiting to see if there will be some skid plates out that do not require removing the guide...IMO the rear guide aids in keeping the chain from being thrown...I also agree the factory skid is absolute junk...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by FastA$$ZRider
will i have to change anything with the sprockets if i get the prm swingarm skid plate?  Also where did u get the skidplates from , just trying to get places to buy from.  Also how much did each of them cost.
I just got my PRM belly and swingarm skids in today and put them on. I also got their desert grab bar. They fit and look great. You will not have to change anything about the sprockets it should bolt up just fine. You can get them off their web site: www.prm-atv.com
That's where I got mine from. I am fixing to order the a-arm skids also. I will post pics of it with the skids and grab bar in the next couple days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I never did like skidplates....I ran my z400 without and with 20" razr2s in the mountains with no problems. I must say my reflexs are pretty good at dodging rocks. Friends have bent rotors before but nothing a few taps with the axe cant fix. Besides if you have gone through mud with ruts you will know that the disc cutting through and chain pulling make a HUGE diff. I also think it looks cooler without skids :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Originally posted by Torbinx
I never did like skidplates....I ran my z400 without and with 20\" razr2s in the mountains with no problems.  I must say my reflexs are pretty good at dodging rocks.  Friends have bent rotors before but nothing a few taps with the axe cant fix.  Besides if you have gone through mud with ruts you will know that the disc cutting through and chain pulling make a HUGE diff.  I also think it looks cooler without skids :D
You ride mountain trails with no skids? Promise me you'll come back here and post pics when you crush your sprocket and rip a hole in your case so we can say "told you so!". The only place I would even consider riding with no protection is on a mx track, but I leave mine on for that even. I bought mine direct from PRM aswell.

·
Premium Member
21,252 Posts
"Nothing that a few taps with the AXE can't fix"?????Now thats some improvisation there! :arrow:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The PRM skids are real nice. I just put one on mine. Excellent fit, everything lined up perfect. The stock skids are under engineered for anything but MX.

·
Registered
308 Posts
thanks guys, so i guess i'm going with PRM skids.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I also forgot to say how much does the .125 full chasis skid and .190 swingarm weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
PRM

I also have the full set of PRM armor . The only thing I found strange was that the front of the rear swing arm skid is held on with 2 host clamps. There were no taps for front bolts. Are yours this way as well? I guess I will see how it holds up.
Also I went down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and running the front sprocket it is ballistic!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
A major problem with prm skids!!! If you go up on the rear sprocket at all it wont fit. I went up 2 teeth in the rear and now it wont fit. PRM said they cannot help me that the racers dont want it any lower because of ground clearance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A major problem with prm skids!!! If you go up on the rear sprocket at all it wont fit. I went up 2 teeth in the rear and now it wont fit. PRM said they cannot help me that the racers dont want it any lower because of ground clearance.
[/b]
you guys should check out pro armor they have skids ready for ltr.thinking of getting some for my bike to.they look great too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts