Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Burning Starters

Hey guys I'm coming on here because I am stumped. My 06 is wrecking starters. It's burnt 3 in the last 2 years and I just bought a new one and got 6 starts and its melted inside on the main power post. Could this be the starter clutch engaging when it shouldn't be? I have power to the starter, have tested relays and the battery itself and they're all good. The wires are all new. Grounds are all clean af. Any suggestions please? :rockwoot:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello again guys, I have been fighting with my newly bought LTR for about a week now. I have done everything short of pulling the crank out of this bike to try to find someone, and loe and behold a new problem arose today. While turning the bike over trying to get it to finally start, I noticed the FI light blinking. I put the bike into dealer mode and now I have the codes for tip over sensor and engine coolant sensor. Any way I can reset the codes? Also, would these cods make the bike turn over ridiculously slow? Or do I still have other problems to fix with that? Any input or help is greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch!! ;My previous (but still active) issue. My quad will try and start some of the time. when it does try to start, it turns over EXTREMELY slow. It has a brand new yuasa YTZ10S battery, solenoid is fine, and Valves are all in spec (I shimmed them two days ago because I thought it was the problem) the bike is perfectly in time, and I have traced almost every wire back making sure it is good. I also checked the decompression lever that everyone seems to be talking about and it (seems) the be working fine and as it should. Im lost here guys. I can also push start the bike and it runs good, just no electric start. I had the local shop test the starter and they said it was good, also ran jumpers directly from the battery to the starter to make sure it was a good connection. Could the shop have been wrong? The starter feels and looks brand new. I took the side case off, if I put the starter gear in it will not hardly turn over, pull it out and the starter spins like crazy. Thanks in Advances
-PS, this is urgent and needs to be resolved at quickly as possible

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ltr not starting, wiring messed up
Hi everyone, first time posting here! I just recently bought an 07 LTR. When i tired it out, it started up and ran great! A lot better than my yfz i had. Anyway, brought it home and it started up once with the elecric start. went to ride it again a little later and al you hear is the relay clicking. It push starts easy enough so i did that and rode to my friends house. It started there with the electric start but now it wont. The battery is good, the relay is good and so is the starter. The guy did some "custom" wiring. He did the blob removal and wired the fan to a a direct switch. At the moment I am going back through the harness and trying to fix things. For some reason, the wires that went to the cps are twisted together to make a it so you dont have to have to have the clutch pulled in to start. Well when you ground these wirs and hit the start button, the neutral light willl come on and the bike will turn over. Im not sure why its doing this so if anyone can help that would be great!

·
Registered
103 Posts
To Volcom and Leroy;
maybe your decompression device on the exhaust cam is not hooked up right. I have seen this when the weight /spring is not assembled right, the starter will be working against the full engine compression, not against an engine that is getting comp. released just at the right time. The cam spins very slow at start up and a lever pushes down on one of the exhaust valves, to release comp. once it fires, a weight /lobe spins and centrifugal force gives you normal valve opening. It is a simple mistake I have seen people make on ltr450 rebilds or even on valve adjustments. At one time I believe I saw the assembly diagram WRONG in a manual i got online. I have seen this "full compresssion engine issue" kill a battery in 4-5 starts, maybe it will kill a starter too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What wires are twisted together?
There is black wire and black/yellow wire twisted together. They go into a plug where they switch to black and black/white that goes into the harness. He also had the orange and orange/white wires twisted together so the engine off/on switch wuould be always on

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats a ground wire. Sounds like you are missing a heavy lead ground somewhere and its overloading that wire.
The guy I bought it off of relocated a smaller battery to the air box. He put the negative battery cable grounded to a part of the frame that had paint on it so it wasnt getting a good ground. Got that fixed but now it doesnt have spark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
battery good, ignition good, new spark plug, ihear the fuel pump click, new 20 amp fuse, she continues to crank and try to start but never fires.. all i did was bust the chain, i killed it fixed chain, then she wouldnt start...?

121 - 130 of 130 Posts