Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have an 08 that ran great last time i rode it but when i went to ride again, it wouldnt start. it turns over but never even pops. it has compression and spark. and i took the injector out and there is fuel coming through the injector. then i put gas in the cylinder and put the spark plug in and it started. any thoughts? im going to check the puel pressure but idk what the fuel pressure should be?

·
Registered
129 Posts
have a ltr450 very hard to crank. valves are set - new starter - good battery even on a boost same thing, not much mor than a 1/4 turn . its even hard to turn when comp is up to turn with a ratchet with crank bolt, on side, take plug out it crank fast it supposed to be stock comp piston in it, and i have a hotcam decomp exaust cam and a stock intake, dono how to set decomp cam.... any1 have ideas for this please post thank you

·
Registered
129 Posts
i think i found the prob 1 intake vave is not set, my buddy missed it or run outa shim like i did its tight at about 006 with the smallest shim size 120 in it. i cant drop anymore, my hotcam kit starts at 120 goes up to 260 or so.. rest with 200+ shims to set them in spec, 550 for a fkn head still wont run start, must have 1 valve too long or too short in that intake,

·
Registered
129 Posts
why hell would 1 valve be that far off the others at 006 and cant shim it low enough to get in spec

·
Registered
129 Posts
valves hope not, but i bought the head i dono nothing about them i'l try that decomp measure

·
Registered
129 Posts
and how would valves make it not wanta turn past tdc like too much compression.. but take plug out ita turn easy

·
Registered
129 Posts
ya it does supposed to be at 010-020 its at 007, i said tight shimmed , im trying to find out the prob .... hard to think 4 tints would drag the motor down, i gave 560 dollars for the head im jus hoping its not bad valves as for the decompression mechanism that i hoped was the prob, i measured it prob 27 above the lobe and would be above when closed dont know how to set it though. i dono anything else that make it do this

·
Registered
129 Posts
want to thank seller for answering my question about valves THANK YOU

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I took the bike out yesterday to ride, probably 4 hours of total riding. It started fine all day, cold or hot and ran fine all day. After riding and taking it back home (probably an hour later) it will not start now. It turns over and sounds like it wants to start but won't and I have not tried roll starting it yet.
I assume it has something to do with the valves, but a friend told me that it didn't sound like a valve issue. I think I saw the fuel light on, but I assumed I was low on gas from riding all day.

EDIT: The top end was just completely rebuilt with hotcams and a new jug about 30 hours ago along with a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i cleaned my fuel filter it had alota dirty stuff in it, ya might could clean your fuel system out ,,try it.. but im no xpert, jus a lil suggestion to help out, good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tried roll starting it today and nothinf happened. After about the fourth try the red light starting flashing. I took a video to show what it was doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not too familiar with the quads yet bu min isn't starting either I have a brand new battery brand new spark plug and new air filter. When I take air filter off there is not even any suction from the intake. A friend told me to check my valves. I can push start it and it runs fine when running. Even starts right up when its warm. Am in the middle of building a shed this weekend so I can't rwally look at it. Also looking through the forums it cou ld even be a swirl filter. Again I am not familiar with the quad yet so I am only guessing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Piston kit causing startup Problem.

Hey everyone, so last week i went for a ride with my LTR450 07 and everything seem to be pretty well but i hadn't changed engine oil. So while i was driving, i tried to shift my gear and suddenly the engine turned down. It all stopped at once and when i tried to press the start button, the startup seemed to be running but it did not push the engine to start up. So when i tool it to the garage, they checked it all and they told me that my piston kit broke down which costs me around 700 dollars. I've recently checked on ebay and it seems that it costs lesser than that. I dont want to spend extra money on it and am not yet sure if its really having problem with the piston. Can you guys suggest me a solution to this.

Thanks
Ali

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
Sounds like low fuel pressure to me. spray a little carb/brake clean in the intake when trying to start and see if it comes alive with the extra help. either way you should check the fuel pressure.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts