Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a differance is there in performance Between the two? Example would be Hmf slip on vs full Hmf exhaust. Does the stock head pipe compare to an aftermarket head pipe? Is it worth spending the extra $ for amount of performance gain of a full system?
Thanks!

· Registered
2,014 Posts
If you check out the Dyno Forum you will see all the results of a full exhaust. We haven't seen much Dyno work on just a slip on but I would assume it would be close to the stock exhaust uncorked. You will probably get very little gain, not worth the $200 + for a slip on IMO.

I would recomend just keeping the stock muffler until you can purchase the full thing.

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Well i bought a HMF slipon for my YFZ and it has more power all around plus a great sound, I just think head pipes are getting more and more similar to aftermarket ones on these race quads so u want to spend a couple hundred more for a full go ahead because the pipe will not make you faster if you don't ride good enough to use that extra power. I've used stock pipes on all my bikes for awhile and u can be just as fast, on most types of riding. I know i want a full pipe but it's not in my price range.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically The stock exhaust with the baffle out would be the same as just buying a slip on?
I'm kind of surprised by that. I guess the stock exhaust is pretty good if you don't have the $ for a full exhaust.
Thanks for the info!

· Registered
93 Posts
So basically The stock exhaust with the baffle out would be the same as just buying a slip on?
I'm kind of surprised by that. I guess the stock exhaust is pretty good if you don't have the $ for a full exhaust.
Thanks for the info!
[/b]
Hold up, i definetly disagree on that. I think there is plenty to gain from just a slip-on. For one the stock silencer is more like a muffler in that it has "chambers" and "partitions with holes in it". Slip-ons have a race standard silencer which is a straight through preforated core with fiber packing around it to help supress noise. BIG difference and definetly a silencer or "glass pack" makes more power than a muffler.

In fact, im guessing whether or not it is truely worth the extra $$ for a single diameter head pipe full system like say on the Two Bros and the DMC or the LRD (just as examples). Im thinking hey, if im not going to get a stepped header than why buy a full pipe.....

Just my thoughts. With all that said im probably buying a whole pipe in the end because i will not be able to do all the proper testing to see if slip ons are say 90 percent as good as a full pipe.

· Premium Member
5,620 Posts
IMO and from what tests i have seen there is very little to be gained by just a slip on. MAYBE 1hp ..... also 370KING you are right. We tested the two brothers and it did not have much more HP then stock with baffle pulled. So i guess i was wrong by saying a slip on will not add more hp ...... i will say it will not add MUCH more HP. You would be better off to save another $150.00 and get a good full system. I think people want the slip on to magically make the same HP numbers as the full system ...... i wish that was the case, but with an LTR450 its not.

FUELATV

· Registered
277 Posts
For what its worth we just put a full 2 Bros. on a stock LTR and it appeared to be a night and day difference from the stock unit (with peashooter out too).Especially in throttle response and unlike Fuels results it is way louder than stock.
It seems to me like there may be quite a difference in results from bike to bike !

· Registered
93 Posts
Interesting stuff guys. Fuel, thanks for sharing all that dyno info by the way. The time and the effort does not go unoticed ;)

So Ronny, that 2 bros pipe is pretty loud but makes good power huh.....man i just dont know what to buy. Im lost on picking a pipe. Had a Yoshi but sold it before i ran it. It looked to damn loud for me. I still think im going Rossier. Ive got only about 1 week to decide before my motor is finished being built. I have Crower Cams now making up a set of cams for me. They should be done in the next few days....

· Registered
277 Posts
I'm not saying that its the best pipe at all but for fit and finish it is extremely good and there was a definite change in the power delivery and noise level - we like it alot !
I think too much emphasis is put on which pipe is best on some of these forums.
To me a pipe is a pipe and if one makes a whole 1 HP more than another one then whoop de do !
As long as its a positive difference then all is good.
Having said that I think that the time and considerable effort that has gone into doing research and dyno work on the LTR thru this site has to be a good thing for this bike and its members !

By the way I must get some pics of it for any 2 Bros fans out there ( if any !)

1,381 Posts
By the way I must get some pics of it for any 2 Bros fans out there ( if any !)
[/b]
I'm always up for photos! Probably should start a new thread in the pics section though.

· Registered
277 Posts
Check back 2 morrow !

· Registered
2,014 Posts
I run the 2Bro's full system too. I never tried the stock with the cork out. I never really had a chance too.

I do love the 2Bro's pipe and you are suppose to be able to buy a quiet insert for it that brings it down to 96db. I dont' know how bad that chokes it up though.

As for noise I think it's louder then stock with Baffle in, of course, but not ear piercing louder. I had a full yoshi on my YFZ and that thing hurt my ears. The 2Bro's pipe is loud enough that you know it's coming but not to loud to need ear plugs.

King, can I get a low down on those Cams? I have Crower cams in my 4Runner and they are excellent. Huge fan of there work, though they can be a bit slow sometimes. (I mean slow service)

· Registered
93 Posts
I run the 2Bro's full system too. I never tried the stock with the cork out. I never really had a chance too.

I do love the 2Bro's pipe and you are suppose to be able to buy a quiet insert for it that brings it down to 96db. I dont' know how bad that chokes it up though.

As for noise I think it's louder then stock with Baffle in, of course, but not ear piercing louder. I had a full yoshi on my YFZ and that thing hurt my ears. The 2Bro's pipe is loud enough that you know it's coming but not to loud to need ear plugs.

King, can I get a low down on those Cams? I have Crower cams in my 4Runner and they are excellent. Huge fan of there work, though they can be a bit slow sometimes. (I mean slow service)
[/b]

Well BCGIrish, the crower cams im getting are apparently for the RMZ. I think thats what all these companies are doing, just converting the sprockets over to the LTR and using them. If you look at their site, it shows a gen1 and a gen2. I want the bigger duration cam to help improve the mid-top end a bit. I feel im going to have plenty of "down low" power with the HV porting and i feel i can take advantage of a longer duration cam with the porting.

Dan Crower, owner of Crower Cams, said he can build them in billet or weld and regring my stockers. I told him to do whats best and left it at that. I want reliability so that most important. I have a feeling im getting a billet set. It also appears that he is only considering doing the intake cam but he did ask to see the exhaust to see if we can improve upon it as well. Its definetly the intake that is a bit deficient on that machine.

I just want you guys that own the 2 bros pipe to know i wasnt dogging it, i was just questioning its full potential but you guys really seem to like it. It sure looks tight and clean. Im still lost on pipes. Im not going to try any pipe until i decide whether or not my franken pipe works or not. Im about to order a big fat reverse conicle air filter to go on the end of my trinity velocity adapter. With no air box and pipe crowing that area i can run what i want. Just flip that stock plastic heat shield upside down and i should be splash proof for the most part.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Hey Gary...welcome brother!!!

Are you going to come clean and tell everyone you are thinking of selling your LTR before you even ride it! :p

Man, good luck on the new cams...I know you have been fighting cams for a looonnngggggg time.

1,381 Posts
Are you going to come clean and tell everyone you are thinking of selling your LTR before you even ride it! :p
[/b]
Ok, that is rather funny and mean at the same time :lol:

You kinda need the poke smiley with that statement, Rob

· Registered
93 Posts
Hey Gary...welcome brother!!!

Man, good luck on the new cams...I know you have been fighting cams for a looonnngggggg time.
[/b]

HAHAHA You funny man cowboy :lol: Thanks man, nice to see a few familiar faces.

Ahhh i was just gettin moody over not riding a brand new bike for 5+ months. Johnson cams, Web cams, now Crower. Tell you what, Dan Crower has been good at keeping in touch and telling me whats going on. He told me this....

"stock int lobe lift is .338” and stock RMZ int lift is .381”lift.

Thats pretty big difference. The Yosh cam is probably the RMZ intake cam!

He also says that billet steel cams are definetly the better choice for at least the intake.

· Registered
93 Posts
Not that is REALLY matters, but Crower did a cam on of my 50's with an 88 kit. Chit the crower cam was wayyyyy better then the takagawa that was in it before. They also did a yfz for a guy i know and his bike rips.
FUELATV
[/b]

Well cool , thats encouraging.

On another note i talked to a K&N rep today and found out that our LTR 450's that rev to say 10,000 rpm, uses or needs 95 CFM. The air filter i was looking into could supply 450 CFM :blink: Um, can you say overkill!.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.