Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as we know, the ltr is heavier than almost all of its rivals, just wanted to know if anyone has any tips of how to get rid of some of the weight?
i have been thinking of replacing the aluminium skid plate with a plastic or carbon one? what about an exhaust (running stock at the moment)

thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
MONEY.. huge money.. lol get things made out of Titanium.. but if you are that worried about weight get a new bike its wayyy to much to loose alot of weight..
some kind of air shock is great weight saving
a swingarm.. (if you are a duner) SLC customs is about 12lbs lighter
plastic.. shave it all and take any un necisary parts off.
idk thats a start.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The stock exhaust felt heavy when I was taking it off... even compared to my "cheap" DMC afterburner full system.

Why don't you work on losing weight yourself? There's only so much you can do to shed weight on the LTR for cheap....well unless you're already pretty light I guess haha....

·
Registered
644 Posts
true true a diet is prolly the easiest and best for us heavier people to get a faster bike.. haha.. but then again i run a 65hp ltr to compinsate for it.. lol

·
Registered
756 Posts
Haha yeah I wish I could have a 65hp LTR....

I'm like 225... hoping to get to 210 by the end of the summer. I don't race or anything.... I just want to be able to smoke my friend who has a WR250F in a drag race lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha im 68kg (150lb) so if i lose any more weight i will be anarexic lol

just wanted to keep the bike weight down, its a big advantage in mx :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Fox shocks (or other air shocks) will save you a few pounds for sure. Other than that it takes extreme measures to really make a difference... However if you put a pro on a 600lb quad and an average rider on a 400lb quad the pro rider would still kick ass.

In other words...Practice!! It's mostly the rider, not the machine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tail light, head light, all wires from them. Parking brake block off kit and remove the cables and parking brake caliper thing from that. You can unbolt the whole parking brake system from the clutch lever. Get the throttle body nut and remove the choke cable. Then you can get a start button and remove the stock killwitch, start button and headlight switch from the handle bars. Thats how i started. Other than that i heard the kickstart kit saves a bunch of weight.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tail light, head light, all wires from them. Parking brake block off kit and remove the cables and parking brake caliper thing from that. You can unbolt the whole parking brake system from the clutch lever. Get the throttle body nut and remove the choke cable. Then you can get a start button and remove the stock killwitch, start button and headlight switch from the handle bars. Thats how i started. Other than that i heard the kickstart kit saves a bunch of weight.

All that stuff (other than the kickstart) is pretty much equal to 10 minutes in a sauna and taking a big shit before the race...

Now I'm not saying don't remove the listed things, I'm just saying that you pretty much aren't gonna find any substantial weight to be cut for under $500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive removed all that stuff, its a fully built race bike with a tuned motor so it has all the unecessary parts removed. i had a kickstart kit but had to go back to electric after the cogs were totally wrecked.

the kfx450r battery is tiny, that would save a lot of weight?

looks like ill be saving up all my pennies till the end of the season. :man_in_love:

Ill post some pics up when i get my bike back after the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
just ride in the nude man

·
Registered
940 Posts
no head light. if you dont mind spending money get a yoshimura kick starter. no more starter or battery. get carbon fiber wheeles. nerf bars aluminum. and get billet aluminum stuff as much as you can

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.