Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried removing my spark plug the other day but it seized up and when I turned it it just snapped. The only part left is the threaded part of the spark plug so I cannot grab it with pliers.

I removed the head and I have lubed it as much as I could and tried to turn it with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer but it will not move, instead the screwdriver just digs in into the plug.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can post a pic if it helps.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That can be a tricky problem to fix. I would recommend shipping it out for removal.
I can repair it for $25 if it doesnt need a helicoil and $35 if it does.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry but I don't live in the U.S. and shipping it would mean 3-4 weeks with no running engine but thanks for the offer.
Would you be able to tell me what size helicoil I would need to do it myself?

I have tried heating up the head but it's just stuck in there. I'm pretty sure an ez out would just snap.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Couldnt you remove it by drilling and tapping?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Drill it out, start with a small bit and work your way up to a larger bit, don't worry if you don't get it centered, just drill until one side is almost through to the threads then pry the 2 sides inward and then you should be able to unthread the rest or break the spark plug leftovers in half, i've done it with broken bolts before just never with a spark plug, then chase the threads with a tap.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to try onesavage's method and if it doesn't work then I'll helicoil it. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't tried drilling it yet but I was at the hardware store and saw an expensive, German made ez out kit, so I bought it and gave it a try. It didn't work, the plug is awfully sized up in there. Drilling is next.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
LoL, thats what I was talking about. They can be a real pain. Step drilling is your best option, but do it with some quality bits. The final tap size is a 10mm x 1.00

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I had this happen already... but in my car... pain in the freakin ass... but as for ltr... everytime i pull the boot off the spark plugs it rips...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
did ya get it fixed?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We don't get any pb blaster here unfortunately.

I haven't gotten it fixed yet, I thought I had the right size bit to drill it but I don't so I gotta go out to buy some. Also I just called Suzuki and they said they could fix it for me for about $15 so I might just take it to them.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
take it to them, that way if they break it, they buy it. you already spent enough time and money running around..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took it to Suzuki and when I got there they said, oh no, sorry we can't fix this, we thought there would be some of the plug still sticking out. So I wasted 30 minutes in traffic.

So I'm gonna take it to a good machine shop I know, they should be able to do it. If not I'll be drilling.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
effers... that sucks, sorry bro...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What to do... What to do...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to the machine shop, they didn't want to do it so they recommended me another machine shop. I get there and they tell me they need a spark plug to remove it. Why, I don't know, to check the thread or something maybe? I didn't have one so I go back home and get my spare ones, I can't find them anywhere so I go out and buy another one. I get back to the shop and they tell me to bring it back on Monday. I got p'o because I spent an hour to get a damn spark plug when I had things to do and then they tell me to go back a different day when they had already told me to get the spark plug and come back. So I got my head and left. I went to about 3 other shops and no one wanted to do it.
So I said screw it, I'll do it myself. I drilled it but I still couldn't get it out. So I went to get a helicoil kit but they don't have the right size kit or the right pitch helicoil and this is after going to 7 shops.

So I think I will have to order one from ebay but I want to make sure this is the right one.

10x1 mm Heli coil spark plug thread repair NGK C Type | eBay

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OR.... I found a 10x1.5 helicoil kit here so I could have it fixed by tomorrow instead of waiting 1-2 weeks for international shipping. What if I just get a spark plug with a 1.5 thread pitch? Are they hard to come by or would I be better off ordering the 10x1 kit?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts