Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21,174 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vader @ Jun 20 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I run all my paddles between 5-6 psi, so that is the range in all the tire pictures[/b]
Do you vary that on the moisture content in the sand or anything? What the I get from my riding friends here is they run 3.5-4.5 psi. Just curious as to what you're thinking is... Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge on this topic.

·
Registered
948 Posts
whats the tallest roll out u guys r runnin with heel plates?
im only runnin 62" and im not sure how much taller i can go before they rub
i was thinkin about a 20x11x9 on a 9x8 wheel for a 64"
or a 21x12x8 on an 8x8 for a 66"
im just not sure of how big i can go

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (doug h @ Jun 21 2008, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you vary that on the moisture content in the sand or anything? What the I get from my riding friends here is they run 3.5-4.5 psi. Just curious as to what you're thinking is... Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge on this topic.[/b]
I dont like to run the Brats in wet sand - they dont ride smooth. I usually change them out for the 6p Extremes; they hook well in moist sand, and the firmer paddle rides better too in rougher terrain. Instead of changing pressure, I change paddles because I have multiple sets.

And the 8x8 rims are fine, I just run 8x7's on all my paddles to get extra rollout. And Brats are fine for jumping, but you wouldn't be looking for huge air with brats anyway because they are almost always mounted on lightweight blue lable rims.

I also did mention my favorite all around set of paddles for Glamis - for price and performance - 21x12x8 6 paddle extreme on 8x7 blue lable rims...

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I run a 67ro 21x12x8 7 paddle

·
Registered
296 Posts
[attachment=18310:IM001850_1_.jpg]
you guys have seen these before...Not say'n they would work for everyone, but they sure do hook up!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (laptraffic @ Jun 24 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[attachment=18310:IM001850_1_.jpg]
you guys have seen these before...Not say'n they would work for everyone, but they sure do hook up![/b]
10 paddle is a bit much isnt it? is that motor built?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaydoggg @ Jun 24 2008, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
10 paddle is a bit much isnt it? is that motor built?[/b]

don't know about his motor but a 10 paddle is perfect for 300' or a short hill.

Guys one thing Vader, myself and many others have said in one way or another is:

There is no one paddle for every environment. That being said the dune envrionment changes from day to day. If you can afford it, it would be nice to have a set of tires for every condition.

But in the end our favorite paddle is this : (everyone enter your own answer here)

Consider the source when you go looking for paddles. For instance I like to drag race, Dune at high speed, Trail ride at a moderate speed and I love to slide my bike in 4th and 5th gear across the face of long dunes when chasing buggies. The best tire for my riding style is the 6 paddle brat in a 67ro. I also own a 66ro brat and its not enough to get me around folks on the top end out here at LS oklahoma. I also run stock gearing.

So if you want to setup for more jumping and what-not, then ask someone with your kind of riding style..... or just call the pro's at your local/favorite sand tire store. For this I like talking to Joe at Fullertons.

This thread is about roll out on sand tires. This topic is pretty advanced but in the end its as easy as gearing + roll out = final drive.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This is how important roll out is..... on the topic of tires....

Me vs. Alan

we both have hc cam, 400ex filter, PCIII, ....except, he's running dasa and I'm running Yosh. His bike made 1 more whp than mine. He's about 20lbs lighter than me but about 3-4" taller.

Tires, He's running double buffed 6 paddle extremes on 8x8 blue labels with a conservative 67ro. (closer to 68).

I was running my short 66ro 6 paddle brats on 8x8 blue labels.

The sand was a lil moist about 6-8" below the surface so it wasn't powdery but it was dry on top.

Right after his dyno tuning, he was pulling me by about 1-2 bikes consistantly. Everyone kept saying.... "those brats aren't so great after all" or "man that 1whp really made the difference". I got pretty pissed that he was beating me but it was bitter sweet since I tuned his bike. As for the rest of the field.... they were getting worked by the both of us.

after an hour of so of getting my butt kicked we went back to the trailer and I swapped my 66ro brats for my 67ro brats. (yes its nice having extra tires to play with).

We then headed back to the drag strip and now Alan and I traded places. My -1whp bike was now beating him pretty consistantly up top by a solid full bike. He and I would come out of the hole exactly the same and up the hill we would go..... 1st 2nd 3rd one was only inches infront of the other...... then from the top of third through the middle of 4th. I would just inch away until the end of the track where I was a full bike or more ahead.

the only thing I changed was a different roll out tire. And if you want to be knit picky about it... the 66 roll out tires are on a slightly lighter rim because I had them drilled for yamaha/honda bolt pattern and they don't have any sealant in them where my 67's have sealant and a couple plugs.

confused even more.... ha ha ha good now go call joe and tell him what kind of riding you do and see what he says you need to buy.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Good info - everyone :tups:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I remember reading about Fullerton and Joe is the guy to talk to, is Dave the guy not to talk to there?lol
I emailed fullerton about skat trak extremes double buffs, Dave said "dbl buffs are Bead to bead buffs,they are NOT lighter, the dbl buff is a cosmetic look only" & "The dbl buffs have the same buff - bead to bead -as the standards have in the center section only.Its a cosmetic buff to get the same look edge to edge on the tire".

·
Registered
384 Posts
I should be picking up a set of skats tommarow if I go out to SoCal. This isn't my week for buying for some reason, since Monday I've been getting good deals on things but they keep getting sold. Just missed out on a Dasa exhaust this morning, hope the Skat's are still there if I go.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Finally got a pair of skat's, 6 paddle extremes of 8x7 blue's picked them up from John at Sandtoyzunlimited. They look fast,lol can't wait to try them out 4th of July weekend @ Pismo. He said about 67-69 RO bead to bead, I meassured them earlier on concreate... Im sure my meassurement was abit off, maybe cause it was just what I wanted to see. lol But I meassured 71", tires have chalk writing on them olny numbers that make sense to me are the BB (bead to bead I guess) and 69 (the rollout). Damm I wish I would have got that Dasa, oh well hopefully for labor day. John said he'll be out @ Pismo 4th of July weekend flatning out the sand at the drags. What PSI should I start with?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
depends on the condition of the sand. I would normally start at 5psi

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i have the same tires as you and i run 6 psi

·
Registered
384 Posts
^^^You mean I have the same tires as you.lol I only got them cause they sure as heck seemed to work well on your bike, thanks for helping with the tires.

All gauges work different though right? I ordered a low psi gauge from ebay, should be getting it this week. I used a low psi gauge I found to test out and it read about 3 psi less in the 20 psi range.
What should I be looking for from the tires when trying out different PSI incase I can't realy in the gauge, anything the tires should be doing different or feel?
Im going to test fit the suckers, any of you guys run these tires with aftermarket nerfs and heels?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
whatever feels best out of the hole is what i went with...i was running 3lbs the first time i had the tires and i did okay...the next time i went back to pismo, when you saw me out there, i ran 6...6 was way way way faster. and your welcome for helping out with the tires. you wont be disappointed with them at all.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here's another paddle comparison... I went duning with a couple of buddies this weekend, and this pic shows two of the exact same tires, a single-buff 21" Nanco carcass with 9-paddle gliders (left) on an 8x8 rim vs. my single-buff 21" Nanco carcass 6-paddle extreme on an 8x7 rim (right). So this is exact same tire, different paddles showing the rollout and width differences of an 8x8 rim vs an 8x7 rim. Rollout is significantly more on the 8x7

[attachment=19303:Sand_Hollow__10_.JPG]

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SANDMANLT @ Jun 23 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I run a 67ro 21x12x8 7 paddle[/b]

I run this same setup. Works killer. Ive tried pretty much every tire also, and stuck with this. Killer holeshots, fast up the hill and dune nicely.

Im thinking about going with some 22x11x8 72ro on a 8x6 wheel 10 paddle gliders for the hill! Anyone tried that setup? We tried it on a few stretched yfz's this weekend and they were very fast compared to my 21s and some 22s in a 10 paddle hauler. I liked them alot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Can one of you guys with a 8X7 rim meassure something real quick?
I bought a set of 21x12x8 extreme 6's double buff's, I told the guy I wanted a 8x7 rim... But I think I got a 8X8.
I forgot to take my tape meassure out to the beach to measure RO, so what I did is took off my flag and marked the measurments on that. Came home and only meassured 65", only thing I could think of is that I got a 8x8 rim. So I meassure from the center to on the outer side one way and then the other side. And I get 4 1/2" one way and 3 1/2" from the other side which adds up to 8". So can someone with a 8X7 take meassurements for me and tell me what they get from each side please, would greatly apprecaite it.
Wheel and tire setup is a big differecne from the sandstars for sure, huge differecne... But measuring RO is different from what I expected, and told.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LS1LTR @ Jul 29 2008, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can one of you guys with a 8X7 rim meassure something real quick?
I bought a set of 21x12x8 extreme 6's double buff's, I told the guy I wanted a 8x7 rim... But I think I got a 8X8.
I forgot to take my tape meassure out to the beach to measure RO, so what I did is took off my flag and marked the measurments on that. Came home and only meassured 65", only thing I could think of is that I got a 8x8 rim. So I meassure from the center to on the outer side one way and then the other side. And I get 4 1/2" one way and 3 1/2" from the other side which adds up to 8". So can someone with a 8X7 take meassurements for me and tell me what they get from each side please, would greatly apprecaite it.
Wheel and tire setup is a big differecne from the sandstars for sure, huge differecne... But measuring RO is different from what I expected, and told.
Thanks[/b]
You should have told him exact rollout. Thats what I always do. I bet if you told him you requested a 68ro and got something different he would take them back. I know I did it once. I got a 70ro when I requested a 73ro and they took them back and sent new ones. Try it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts