Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to freshen up my Rossier so decided to give it a paint job , was simple and cheap to do with a good finish. Bellow are the main steps i carried out:

1) Remove can from bike

2) Depending on size of scratches choose appropriate grit of sand paper and work your way down to a 300 grit ( dont go bellow 300 so paint can bond well

3) Remove any remaining grease or dirt with soapy water and then clean water.

4) The rossier logo was taped off with ripped masking tape and positioned to give a tear/rip effect

5) Star vinyl stickers were then placed firmly down and positioned making sure that there were no air bubbles under the vinyl ( any type of vinyl sticker can be used of your choice or any other appropriate material stencils )

6)Prep for painting and mask off areas such as the muffler end

7)The paint needs to be high temp paint which you can get from VHT and many other brands , mine was good up to 800 degrees.Give the can a 'Dust Coat' basically a very light coating and leave for 10 minutes. This 'Dust Coating' works as a primer and helps adhesion of the following coats.

8)Carry out two full coatings leaving at least 10 minutes between coats

9)Leave to dry overnight and then carefully peel off the vinyl stickers and masked areas from under the paint. ( they are still easily visible from under the paint and come off with ease)

10)Curing the paint (very important for robust finish) you can do this two ways, either fit back onto your bike and run at idle for 10 minutes -10 minutes rest, idle for 20 minutes - 20 minutes rest , and then run for 30 minutes normal driving conditions. Or you can cure in a house hold oven , directions for this vary with the paint but for me it was 1 hour 30 mins in the oven starting at 100 degrees Celsius working my way up gradually to 220 degrees Celsius.

Anyway hopefully this will help or inform someone, and let us know what you think ! cheers :beerchug:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Nice looking can!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
tnx guys , and yea anyone thinking of trying it just remember it all about the prep work and curing that will determine the outcome ! i always just want to go right ahead and put the paint on ha but have to resist !!!! will let you all know how it holds up !

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sweetness!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE the Rossier Paint Job , been almost 4 months since the paint work and no marks or scratching yet and i ride quite a lot of gravel and loose stone tracks . The paint remains relatively soft for a while initially though so i would give a full week to cure properly after having been oven cured !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts