Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lower ring is worn more than the upper. That suggests to me abrasive in the crankcase.
Has the quad been sunk? What let to the original rebuild?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wiped the cylinder down and oiled it but I didn't clean it with a solvent or anything. And yes, it was new. It comes with a Vertex piston. Original build was due to a broken lower oil line that toasted the cylinder and piston. I ended up putting in a new crank just to be safe and the entire engine was cleaned thoroughly inside and out. Max temp was 215, bike was not sunk. Only other thing i didn't mention was the oil I used, which was Mobile1 racing 4T synthetic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In thirty years as a professional mechanic I have never run across "bad rings".
There has always been a reason for any ring failure.
This one is indeed a puzzle. Sounds like your job on the engine was done well . . . .
Unless you have the only set of "bad rings" on the planet, it has to be abrasives. Has to be.
Where did the abrasive come from? The list is really rather short.
Crankcase? Nope, not if you cleaned it properly.
Cylinder? Maaaaybe, if there was something in the surface. A good wiping down should have been sufficient. What company would send out a cylinder that would eat rings? Really!?!
That leaves the air intake.
Have you gone CSI on your airfilter? Air boots?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ring end gap not checked and/or set on installation would be my guess for the premature failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ring end gap not checked and/or set on installation would be my guess for the premature failure.
Too tight end gap would explain the vertical scratches in the cylinder as well.

I'm sticking with abrasives though. Sand dunes. Air intake.

JG, can you find any problem with the filter system? Loose hose? Bad seal on the filter? That sort of stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
The end gap did not increase that much from just running the engine or any abrasives. The end gap was incorrect when they were installed new. I have seen MANY sets of rings come out of the box too loose or too tight over the years. Every set of rings HAVE to be checked before they are installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Looks like there was a problem with the air filter. Inside the intake tube was coated with oily sand. Still don't know why one ring wore more than the other though.

So if the ring end gap was too big to start with, should it be covered under warranty? I guess the only way to figure that out is to compare measurements with new rings and see if they are the wrong ones or worn out. Maybe one ring was correct and the other wasn't? That would explain why one gap is so much larger than the other.

My rings measure .039, .148, 4, .057 ring end gap and other is .039, .138, 4.065, .029 ring end gap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also get your hands on a dial bore gauge and check the cylinder. Now you can tell out of round, taper and size / clearance. I have rechromed at least 100 cylinders and had 3 of them come back wrong. ( not just one company and I am not saying names because they made it right). But if for some reason the cylinder is over or undersize that can affect the ring end gap big time with just a small about of bore size.

I always use a oil treatment (STP) when installing cylinders, I started doing this on large 2 strokes (98mm) that the rings have a lot of tension on them. I know some people that say never to use it, but I have never had a problem, never smoke and leak down is good.

So what I am getting at is if you are going to DIY then invest in bore gauges and mics. You can get cheap ones if that is all you are doing is using it for this and you will be fine. Just a good peace of mind

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sure everyone in here has the best intentions, but JG's machine ATE DIRT and DIED.
I have seen it a million times.
I can count on one hand how many times I have had a new set of rings that did not exhibit the correct end gap. Not if I ordered the right size!
Art, Mahle, Wiseco, whateverthehell Powroll used to use, even the crappy Cycle Craft rings . . . . . . . they all drop right in.
Not that I do not check them, because I came up when CZs and Maicos ruled. But today they are all good.
Maybe some of the new companies send out crap, I really do not know. If they do, I would not expect them to be in business for long.
Anyone remember Poppy piston rings?
I say all of this because the general public really does not need to be scared. Deal with a reputable company, check the fit of both the rings and the piston, and you will be fine. Bore gauges (sorry TSBOVARD) do not need to be in the arsenal of the weekend mechanic.
But you gotta keep the dirt out of the engine!!!!!!!
Fire away!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's probably from mixing pump gas and race fuel!!

J/P

could the ring have been installed upside down? :read:
I got a similar problem with my ltr but it doesn’t smoke it builds up oil in my open intake box the guy I bought it from was from Wyoming and was pumping q16 fuel and I’m from colorado so it was hard for me find q16 so I empty it out and bought a 5gallon Sunoco 110 standard leaded until I finished it I then pumped 91octane because it’s not as hard to find as the other fuels could I have messed something up? Thanks in advance new to this hobby

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
@Ltr450axel Sounds like you got some pressure. if your filling up your intake you should probably look at your cylinder walls.

Reactions: Ltr450axel

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Ltr450axel Sounds like you got some pressure. if your filling up your intake you should probably look at your cylinder walls.
what do you mean by I got too much pressure,do you know the cause why this happened? I just happened to clean out the intake and saw oil not excessive but quite some oil can you recommend me anything?

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
Sounds like you blow by. Unless your riding the rev limiter which will show some oil normally. however if you dont I would say pull the head and check cylinder for wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you blow by. Unless your riding the rev limiter which will show some oil normally. however if you dont I would say pull the head and check cylinder for wear.
Thanks for your help,I’m usually not on the rev limiter it’s fast as it is now do you think if I replace the cylinder and get a new piston and rings it will solve it or does the head have to be replaced aswell it starts right up so I’m questing valve clearance is good or what can you recommend me to do to solve it sorry for sm question I’m new to this and last owner never mentioned anything about it

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
@Ltr450axel you only have to do the rings and piston along with the jug. No need to replace the head. However a wise mechanic once told me. If your doing the top end you might as well do the bottom end.

My buddy once did a BBK on a Z400 and he didn't listen to my mechanic and he was doing the bottom end in about 15 mins after the first ride it locked up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Ltr450axel you only have to do the rings and piston along with the jug. No need to replace the head. However a wise mechanic once told me. If your doing the top end you might as well do the bottom end.

My buddy once did a BBK on a Z400 and he didn't listen to my mechanic and he was doing the bottom end in about 15 mins after the first ride it locked up.
Thanks a lot for the help, do you have a suggestion on what brand kit I could get to rebuild it? Or who I can take it to? Looking to do it before it gets worst

21 - 39 of 39 Posts