Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Cylinder Works 474 big bore kit with new crank. It had a brand new Uni air filter, new valve seals, and new intake valves. I took it trail riding for a day and took it easy on it and then went to the dunes in OK for a weekend. I spent most of my time following my son on his LT80 so I wasn't beating the thing all weekend. I noticed it was smoking and using oil so I took it apart and found that the rings are shot. What would cause this? Can I buy new rings? I can't seem to find any online. The piston and cylinder still look fine.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Fire the mechanic...

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
that's what I was thinking, why do you think their bad, only thing I can come up with is if the cylinder is out of round.

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
If the cylinder is round and not tapered and the hone isn't excessive it must be the ring material.

the piston skirts aren't collapsed are they?

just trying to help :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
piston hardly shows any wear, cylinder has very small vertical scratches but from the best i can tell is round and not tapered. i measured the ring end gap and on one ring it's .029, the other is .057. i'm thinking it was just a bad set of rings.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What was the ring end gap when you installed the piston?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't remember checking but i'm pretty sure the rings were the same size. they are not now so i'm wondering what would cause one ring to wear almost twice as much.

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
It's probably from mixing pump gas and race fuel!!

J/P

could the ring have been installed upside down? :read:

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
You said the end gap on the rings were .029 and .057 ?????? If this is true, there is your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no race gas, just premium pump gas.

rings were installed with the letter N towards the top. After looking at them more closely one is shiny and has a bevel on the inside. the other was a darker color and square. the shiny one was on top and has an end gap of .029 and the darker one was on bottom with a .057 end gap. from what i found on vertex web site they are installed correctly. my question is why did one ring wear so much more than the other and why did they wear out so fast with not much riding.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
That ring end gap is extremely wide. That is where your oil is coming from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know it's smoking because of the ring gap, I want to know if anybody has any idea why it wore out so fast. thanks for the answers so far.

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
that's what I was getting at, bore not round or tapered, rock in the piston, rings over sprung, it seems that the rings are made of different materials so that would be why they didn't wear the same.

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
I have never gotten a new or replate cylinder and when I replace a piston and or ring set I never hone it either, That's what the builders that I know recommended, haven't had a problem yet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts