Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking on youtube for anyone going upstairs on a quad and saw nothing (except a guy who backflipped twice).

I tried riding my old 400cc upstairs, so I know quads are capable of doing that. Mine was far not as good as enduro bikes with their large wheels, of course - it had bad traction, was losing speed and I never managed to take off in the air. And I had no skills at that time, my bike suspension was terribly stiff, so I was only wondering how would a good quad perform.
And I got no quad at the moment, so i'm still wondering. :)

So who does stairs on his quad? Tell me how it works for you.
Is it possible to gain speed while going up?
Any video to see maybe?

·
Registered
369 Posts
ON YOUTUBE theres a clip of a guy grinding a rail like a skateboard down stairs,i think the video is called devils rejects!!!!lol and he does it on a ltr...lol

·
Registered
728 Posts
I assume your talking about large hill climb with reliefs known as stairs. If so ltr does them great but if you lose speed and give it the gas to much it will start spinning and that will slow you down even more or spin you around on the hill. I use second from bottom top even if its 500+ft

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about urban stuff. I come from supermoto and trials, and I used them both for doing crap in the city. I commute a lot and I always do it with maximum fun - stairs, jumps, hills, etc. And i'm planning to do the same on a quad but I never seen anyone doing it.
Mmm, I know there are at least 3 reasons people never do it: the law, the 10hr maintenance, and morale. Yet there are peeps that are ok with those three :)

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Wish I had footage..

My boys I grew up with all had street bikes except me.

When they would go stunt down by the stadiums and parking lots in Philly, I would throw my Honda 450r in my truck and go try and stunt with them.

Such a great time.

Wheelies, stairs, banks, etc. lots of neat shit to play on down there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol, i kinda understand what you mean. I dont like the idea of videoing every minute of my ride, but sometimes i regret i got nothing show ;p

shiftx, were you able to go up the stairs and make a jump from it like from a ramp?

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Not a crazy jump. Just a little air. Was more fun in just climbing them.

There was a set where you could get some speed and jump down them.

Down across from the Link was a phat parking lot, I would jump the banks and stuff.

The suspension action from each step kinda takes away from it at the top.

And you kinda don't wanna slam into them at the bottom as you would hitting a ramp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so an ltr goes upstairs pretty well:

I want to get into the air, but quad is losing speed while going up.
To achieve that i'm planning to make the rear shock softer and reduce damping - this should improve traction. Pressure is already pretty low at the wheels. Also thinking of a 15 teeth sproket to calm down the torque. Or maybe i should simply remove the cherry bomb...
._.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts