Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

Rebuilt Stock Shocks

6K views 68 replies 20 participants last post by  srmx 
#1 ·
How many of you guys have had your shocks redone. I would rather spend the extra money on hp, if revalving the shocks is a good deal. I don't hit huge tables but I definitely can tell the stock shocks are a little off. Just wondering.

#3 ·
i just dropped my shocks off at mx-tech.getting them back friday.ill let everyone know what i think.i got to see his shop and he showed me a few things and im very impressed.the guy has done his homework.and has a shock dyno that showed me the graph between the stock progressive rate spring(stock) and an elka tripple rate set-up and the graphs are almost identical.i was gonna spend the extra cheddar and get the tripple rate set-up but he assured me i was wasting my money other than the small amount of adjustment that you get with crossovers they are the same.i skipped out on having the front bodies anodised to to the time frame on getting them back but will most likely get it done in the offseason.his prices are a bit higher than most but i think he puts more time into them as well setting them up on the dyno till they are right the firsttime.im getting the front lengthened and revalved and the rear revalved.cost for all three without the hard coating is 400 bucks.

#6 ·
That's not bad, he going to set them up for your ride style too or does he just do a standard set up?
[/b]

they will be set up for my weight an my riding style.all shocks we be run on dyno till they match perfectly

#7 ·
they will be set up for my weight an my riding style.all shocks we be run on dyno till they match perfectly
[/b]
I was waiting on TCS -- BUT this sounds interesting. I have already heard good things about that company -- ------- Let us know.

What weight and riding style did you get it set-up for ???

#8 ·
oo man im happy your getting them redone....i know you actually put your shocks to work and i havent heard from anyone who jumps a lot on how they like the rebuild...i hope it's worth it

#9 ·
I was kinda hoping somebody had there shocks done at ishock But I read the post on mx-tech shocks revalve job and they sound impressive.

#10 ·
got my shocks back from mx-tech as promised on friday.WOW!they work awsome.i didnt get any exact measurements but eyeballing the tape on the front shocks i gained about 5/8ths - 3/4 of an inch would i think would result in quite a bit more wheel travel.didnt measure the rear but i dont think anything was done there.the quad sits lower now and is very plush.i thought it was going to be too soft but the only time i could get it to bottom was when i jumped a decent size double and landed in the face of the landing wich is something that an A rider is not supposed to be doing anyway but i was just testing the equipment plus getting a feel for the track.there were several large table tops that were there that i didnt clear the first couple laps and they soaked up the flat landing no problem.bumbs,braking,g-outs are non existant now and the rear always had traction.not bouncing around like it did before.at this track they have a step up that is almost impossible to clear without clipping your rears tires on the top wich before would result in throwing your front end down(and the downside is pretty steep) and making it a bit hairy but now the rear just soaks you barely noticed the tires clipping the top.almost like riding a dirtbike how they just soak up everything.one of the biggest things i noticed is i wasnt even tired!thats when you know your suspension is working.only time they didnt work was in practice they didnt get us out there till 9:30 pm and it was dark.i have a slightly tinted goggle that was just not working in the poorly lit sections.i couldnt clearly see the landings on this double double section (wich i rolled about 5 times) but wanted to give it a shot.3rd gear pinned i hit the first one thinking i was gonna overshoot it a bit.not the case.the landing was very peaked as this was on the dirtbike track(they combined the quad and the bike track for the money/pro races at there special events) and the frame hit the top hard before the wheels wich resulted in me spitting two of my teeth out and i got a pretty good hole in my cheek.but no suspnsion isnt gonna help in that situation.so i didnt get to race but i did get a good feel for the shocks (and my handlebars......lol)

#11 ·
Ouch...I want to do a "Subluxation" bit here... :p

#12 ·
I dropped off all three shocks for revalving and respringing service by Works as I thought about I-shock but they are only doing single rate springs, and I am having Works do triple rates fronts and single rate rears. Since I race W.O.R.C.S series style racing I'm not going to a zero preload but for you duners or MX track only people out there that would be the way I would go dropping that front end about an inch. The whole package for all three (triple up front, single in the rear) shocks will run about $800.00 plus tax. A deal when you think about it because they are fully adjustable already and now set for your weight and riding style. You have your choice of spring color (black, red , white, or that ugly powder blue) for the bottom spring color all top springs will be white. Since I have the white bike I went with the red springs with the white upper springs and a red spring in the rear. I should have them in two weeks.

#13 ·
#14 ·
so jfarr...was it worth the 550? Do you think they're as good as some aftermarket shocks or better?

#15 ·
Gah you people and your good reviews of products. I'm starting to wonder if after market arms/fox's are worth it or I should just get stockers redone. It's not going to happen soon ethier way.

#16 ·
i paid 400.i didnt get the hardkote at this time. WELL WORTH IT!the shocks are phenomenal!every bit as good as aftermarket IMO.i cant believe how smooth they are.i cant wait to get them on some different track conditions.i will not be buying any aftermarket shocks if that tells ya anything.i may do some atvfourplay arms though.they are awesome!the ground clearance is awesome on them wich will help from dragging your arms through ruts wich happens alot.plus replaceable parts.

#17 ·
i paid 400.i didnt get the hardkote at this time. WELL WORTH IT!the shocks are phenomenal!every bit as good as aftermarket IMO.i cant believe how smooth they are.i cant wait to get them on some different track conditions.i will not be buying any aftermarket shocks if that tells ya anything.i may do some atvfourplay arms though.they are awesome!the ground clearance is awesome on them wich will help from dragging your arms through ruts wich happens alot.plus replaceable parts.
[/b]
J ..... I was going to PM you this morning to see if you got them back. That was quick too.
They sound good to me.
No sh## on the teeth thing -- or was that an analogy ??

#18 ·
My shocks were redone by MX-Tech and they feel really good. I may need to send them back b/c the fronts feel too soft for my liking but John said there would be no charge if I needed to send them back. I like them a lot better than stock but I'm still playing with all the settings trying to get them dialed in just right for my riding style before I send them back to him. He also says that he will have a 3-rate spring kit together for all three shocks in the next 2 weeks.

#19 ·
Told ya Jay! I love what john did for my shocks I got them black anodized. He told me that it would tighten up the tolerences on them adn last a bit longer before I needed them rebuilt. I had mine set up for fast trail riding and small mx stuff. they work like a charm. the guys I went riding wioth last weekend were getting all beat up while I was just glideing through the woods I didn't think the trails were that rough till I jumped on one of the guys hondas. I almost had to knock him off my quad to get it back LOL B)

#20 ·
No sh## on the teeth thing -- or was that an analogy ??
[/b]

no kidding the teeth are history!and my mouth is still swollen.man if i lose anymore i might have to move to WV. :lol:

#21 ·
I can't believe the WV "Billy Bob" patrol hasn't come to get you already :p

#22 ·
Damn .... best wishes to you on the teeth....and staying out of West Virginia -- ;)

There is NO nice way to case a jump....for sure.

We need to get Faast to make some LTR Flexx skid plates :p ....wait --- HEY FUEL !!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 ·
well everyone i went to enon valley today to drop my shocks off to john at mx tech....OMG that was so hard to find lol...but the machines he has look pretty impressive!! and guess what he'll have them done wednesday morning...thats w/o the coating b/c it would take till monday to get them back and i dont have the time...so im just gettin it next rebuild...he's a super nice guy too...only problem is finding him..thats a toughy lol ill let u guys know how i like them!

#24 ·
whats the phone number for john at mx tech and do they have a web site also were is he located.
Man this LTR and all its stuff it has sounds like it is the best thing to happen to quad mx since the 250R!!!!!!!!
Won my first race on it by like 1/4 or more of the track lead i love this thing!!

#25 ·
whats the phone number for john at mx tech and do they have a web site also were is he located.
Man this LTR and all its stuff it has sounds like it is the best thing to happen to quad mx since the 250R!!!!!!!!
Won my first race on it by like 1/4 or more of the track lead i love this thing!!
[/b]

John's number is: 724-336-3293.... Awesome guy to deal with! His website is www.mx-tech.com but it is mainly dirtbike stuff on there now but he is currently working on a quad section for the site! MX-Tech is located in Enon Valley, PA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.