Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm new with atv's and recently purchased a 2006 suzuki ltr 450.
My question is, it has 10 inch wheels on the back, 20/11/10.
Sprockets are stock though, 14 front, 38 back.
For your information, I jump a little bit, nothing too extreme, I ride some track and a lot of cross country.
So should i maybe change to 9" rims and 19" rear tires, or should I change the front sprocket?
Tell me exactly waht the difference would be if I put on a 13t sprocket and kept on riding the 20" tires??

Thanks, I appreciate answers and help!!
:rock:

·
Registered
256 Posts
If u run alot of xc then just drop to a 13t front sprocket cause u will wanna stay with those 20" tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
14-36 is stock on most, my 08 came 14-37 from the factory. I race strictly XC and alot of it. Went to 22" fronts, 20" rears for the clearance factor, you'll need it. And dropped a tooth in front to 13 to compensate for the taller tires. I rarely see anything past 4th gear and only one course of 14 that we use 5th gear.

i think you are right in there with a 13-38 combo. Remember, 1 tooth in the front is close to the equivalent of 3 teeth in the rear.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Like Kidd said with the 20s. I run 21s on the rear with either a 13/36 or a 14/36 depending on the course. I've tried a 13/37 but was way too low a gearing for me. The last race I ran the 14/36 with no problems with using 1st through 5th gears. Top speed I think was around 70ish. Oh and with 20s you'll want to run a 9 inch wheel, more sidewall and cushon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! appreciate the help!

So if youre saying i'm already up by 2 teeth in the rear sprocket does that mean that i gave up some torque and have more top speed now?!

Could someone explain to me aswell what the difference would be, on 20" tires ofcourse, 13t f 38t r,, or 13t f 39 or 40 r?!

·
Registered
75 Posts
no bigger on the back sprocket gives you more torque, smaller on the front gives you more torque. smaller on the back gives you more top end, bigger on the front gives you more top end. I run 13/38 with 22's and it still has a little to much top end. i ride the same stuff you do tight aggressive trails and find i works pretty good but still not enough torque for me but im going to keep it this way and get used to it with this setup i was clocked at 70 by a kawasaki zx6r 636 at the top of 4 gear and ran out of road

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm changing my rear sprocket from a 36 tooth to a 37 tooth, will the factory sprocket guard still work? or will I have to ditch it for an aftermarket setup?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts