Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cousin got T-boned on my quad while cruising country roads. anyways.. I'm doing a frame swap. I tore off the front and rear end and I was looking the engine over and there is a crack on the right casing above the rear engine motor mount. I WILL NOT. split cases and replace the case.. So.. I'm just so tired of shit going wrong.
Anyways.. what do you guys think the best thing would be to do? I could get it welded but aluminum is hard to weld... etc. Tips?
:1zhelp: Thank you!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
is there any oil coming out of it? If not you may have a chance at tig welding it but still the oil is going to try and be drawn into the weld. I think some type of epoxy probably would be best. Welding that will most likely be different to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
jb weld

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
x2 JB weld it and pray. It's either that or split cases. That's a simple tig welding job but the area needs prepped for it. I've had good luck with JB weld for all kinds of fixes but normally not fixes where there is a lot of temperature change such as that one.

Good luck dude. let us know how it holds up for ya

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No oil leaks out as of now because I'm doing a frame swap bc my cousin got hit by a car on it -,-.... I may do JB but I've used JB weld on many flip projects where people have had the chain smack the casings and after a bit oil starts to leak out. some guy said he had an aluminum welder and could cut the crack out a bit larger and re weld the opening... (to make it stronger, not just patch it..) ?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
that's good but if he doesn't prep the area correctly, it's not going to work. Normally you want to degrease and clean the area. It needs to be free of moisture or huge porosity voids will form. If he is real good and real careful, he can just puddle the outside of the case with enough penetration. You got nothing to lose really.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
if there is no oil leaking out clean it with a stainless steel brush heat it with a propane torch to burn out impurities, brush it again and weld it. It will work

·
Registered
16 Posts
So am I the only one concerned on how your cousin is doing? The quad is nothing compared to the life of a family member. I hope everything works out in the rebuild and you cousin is doing well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So its been a while. But to be honest I thought she was dead when it happened and when I saw her. She should of been dead. I believe my nerf bar saved her leg from having to be amputated or having all the bones crushed to bits and pieces. She went home around 2 weeks ago.
Guess what?
Well more bad shit happened..
Let me just give you a quick run down.
My little brother William, is three years old. He has a disease that is called Zellwegers syndrome. He wasn't supposed to live past six months and he actually has the worst case possible so we are blessed that he is still alive. He looks as if he is 6 months old.
Well.. I quit my jobs and started watching him every day and im going to college so for the past week he hasn't been eating, only around 10 ounces of formula (he averages 20-30 a day.) he has also been screaming all day and dry heaving and puking up what he eats. the boy is skinny enough and cannot put on weight due to the disease (weighs 14 pounds)...Well 5 days ago he only would eat two ounces a day and would dry heave for hours at a time.. we took him to the hospital and it was planned out that he wouldn't make it, unless he lived on IV's his whole life. he dropped to 10 pounds. Well we decided to take him off and not have him stay in a hospital the rest of his life. its been two days now and my cousin came down that same night and she fucking walked into my house. (first time ive seen her since) and she looks awesome. it still hurts to walk etc, and she limps but she can walk. and move in a wheelchair. She is supposed to use crutches, and does most of the time.

And lets just say... all of Williams levels have been staying up so hopefully he also snaps out of it and stays with us for a little longer. (we know he wont stay for much longer because its impossible but we love that little boy!). (he has a lot more wrong than just that disease)

But all in all... Bekah (cousin) is doing very well :)
I'm very lucky to have her still here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
p.s. I am having big problems with the ball joint mod, so if anyone wants to help go to the ball joint mod sticky under suspension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts