Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into the sport ATVs and picked myself up a 2007 Suzuki LTR 450. All that is done performance wise is a cherry bomb. Heard they have a 3rd gear issue with the transmission? also what can i do to the motor power wise that will give it alittle more kick? was told if i do anything to it that its not good for the motor. Was wanting to do a full Yosi exhaust and some sort of power commander to change the air fuel and everything up. If someone can give me some pointers that would be great. Used to be into rock crawling but this is a totally "different cup of tea" as they would say

Thanks, Jake from Fort Collins,CO

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
571 Posts
Most people start with taking the baffle out of the stock exhaust,and air box lid off.Then move to a full exhaust,intake system,maybe a intake cam.You will be fine with all these mods with the cherrybomb.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Do the big three first cherry bomb,pipe,intake kit.Once you have done them I would recommend to port and polish the head with a intake cam and piston ,all that when done correctly will really improve the power without compromising the reliability.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The "big three" will make for a very fun quad, once you get the compression north of 13:1 though, that's when the real fun stuff starts lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by intake what do you mean. Looks like all they offer are air filters, was told by some friends who work in a bike shop that K&Ns are horrible to put on them because they get plugged really fast. As far as exhaust should i do a full exhaust or just a pipe? If so what company offers the best bang for the buck? I dont mind spending alittle extra cash where i need to. It already has a cherry bomb on it and the spark thing pulled out of the exhaust. Am i wasting my money puting a power commander on it? Also saw that they make an air box lid that also has a built in prefilter... are those worth getting or not?

·
Registered
26 Posts
by intake what do you mean. Looks like all they offer are air filters, was told by some friends who work in a bike shop that K&Ns are horrible to put on them because they get plugged really fast. As far as exhaust should i do a full exhaust or just a pipe? If so what company offers the best bang for the buck? I dont mind spending alittle extra cash where i need to. It already has a cherry bomb on it and the spark thing pulled out of the exhaust. Am i wasting my money puting a power commander on it? Also saw that they make an air box lid that also has a built in prefilter... are those worth getting or not?
Go for a full Dasa or Yoshi exhaust and if you have the extra cash go with a power commander...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Rule of thumb, as it was told to me, you don't need a power commander until you go into the motor(cams, port & polish, piston kit, and crank). Cherry bomb will be fine. Again, this is what was told to me on this very forum. First Thing I'd recommend is steering stabilizer and shocks. You would be amazed at how much faster those two upgrades will make you, not to mention ur body won't take as bad of a beating. Hope this helps

·
Registered
314 Posts
By intake there talking bout ur air box. You can get a good on for bout $160

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Cherry bomb is good for the exhaust and intake upgrades. But with and internal motor upgrade I highly recommend a programmer and a tuning session.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive seen these lids on the internet sounds like a good plan. Whats the best website to get most of this stuff on that is reasonably priced?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Honestly being an XC guy I typically recommend going with some suspension work, and a steering stabilizer first thing. VERY few people can ride a stock 450 to it's potential in the woods, even fewer can do it on stock suspension. A nicely setup suspension and a good stabilizer will allow you to make the most of the power you have in the woods.

Guess the first logical question would be what do you plan on doing with the quad? MX, XC, drag, TT, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
taking it up in the mountains and to the sand dunes. I traded an old beat up Jeep wrangler for that and cash so im trying to do what i can with this to make it perform as well as my jeep did

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
The "big three" will make for a very fun quad, once you get the compression north of 13:1 though, that's when the real fun stuff starts lol.
What is the highest compression piston you can run on pump gas? BTW, what is stock compression?
Stock compression is 11:7 to 1. I wouldn't go any higher than 12:8 to 1 on anything less than premium pump gas.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Agreed, 12.8 would be the highest I'd even consider running on 93. Although it might actually run better on 98 with the 12.8 piston, 98 octane is hard to find around me though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what would be better to get, the mega bomb or the power bomb? ive been looking at both and just not sure which one to run

·
Registered
170 Posts
what would be better to get, the mega bomb or the power bomb? ive been looking at both and just not sure which one to run

When I ran FMF I preferred the MegaBomb. I prefer Dasa, HMF, Rossier over FMF though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts