Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

Paddle Tire Choice Dilemma

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Rich S 
#1 ·
I got rid of my 20x10x8 8 paddle haulers because they only measured 18" and I didn't like that. I'm going on a dune trip next weekend so I don't have much time to order. If I could wait I would get a 20x10x8 7 paddle bead to bead in a 65 or 66 rollout or a 21x12x8. I went riding last weekend with HQ member MIKE that had this exact setup and I liked it a lot. The only problem with getting the haulers is I would have to wait too long so I wouldn't have the paddles for my trip. I can get the 6 paddle Brats in a comp cut from a local vendor before next weekend, but I'm not sure about their durability. Anyone have any experience with the brats? Are they so thin that I can't ride on they pavement or gravel coming and going to the dunes or hit the occasional root or stump while doing tree shots? I like what I have heard about them performance wise, but I'm not sure about the durability. Anyone want to help me with my decision?

The way I see it I can buy the brats and hope they are durable enough for the local dunes or order the haulers and borrow some tires for this weekend.

Help a brother out :)

#3 ·
Comp cuts are some thin biatches.
[/b]

I run 20x10x8 6 paddle extremes with a blue label 8x7 wheel and Ive yet to loose to any other tire or ltr for that matter up the hill. Work AWESOME. I think they are 20+ tall with the skinny wheel

#4 ·
I run 20x10x8 6 paddle extremes with a blue label 8x7 wheel and Ive yet to loose to any other tire or ltr for that matter up the hill. Work AWESOME. I think they are 20+ tall with the skinny wheel
[/b]
My 20x10x8 8 paddle haulers on a 8x8 blue label were a nice tire, but they were only 18" tall. I wouldn't mind getting another 20x10x8 hauler in a 7 paddle, but I will make sure to get a larger rollout this time. I know haulers are nice paddles, but I hear good things about the brats too.

#5 ·
In November my comp cuts Brats will be 2 years old.

If you have never been to LS, OK it is an XC course filled with sand...so there are stumps, tree limbs, tons of trash, lots of burned tree debris, many, many trees, and the campground roads are asphalt. They DO show signs of wear between the paddles...I put in Berrymans Sealer once per year and I have not had any problems other then a 3" long nail on the second time out on the tires (plugged the tire myself). IMO the nail would have went into any paddle tire...

Also, these tires have 2 seperate week long trips to Glamis on them and each trip we easily rode 100 miles...so add at least 200 miles to them from those trips alone not counting all the trips to LS.

#6 ·
In November my comp cuts Brats will be 2 years old.

If you have never been to LS, OK it is an XC course filled with sand...so there are stumps, tree limbs, tons of trash, lots of burned tree debris, many, many trees, and the campground roads are asphalt. They DO show signs of wear between the paddles...I put in Berrymans Sealer once per year and I have not had any problems other then a 3" long nail on the second time out on the tires (plugged the tire myself). IMO the nail would have went into any paddle tire...

Also, these tires have 2 seperate week long trips to Glamis on them and each trip we easily rode 100 miles...so add at least 200 miles to them from those trips alone not counting all the trips to LS.
[/b]
That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for :) The local shop will be getting a shipment in today and if the haulers are not there I will be getting the Brats :pimp:

#7 ·
[/b]

Um, what does this have to do with the Comp Cut Brats being thin?

Where do you ride at? Ive got a little LTR with the same tires that would be up for a race.

Also, just food for thought, the 6 Extreme is still TOO much tire for the LTR. Im running 13/36 and it lays over in 4th on Olds. Wont keep pulling the tire.

#8 ·
I think what else comes into play most of the stuff in the Oregon Dunes is short with no flat starts.

Some are turn your bike around above the water, start on the hillclimb. 20ft to 100ft

Go down into the trees sharp turn and your on the hillclimb. 20ft to 100 ft.

Most of the drag areas are 100 yards or less.4th gear isnt an option.

Is then the 6 paddle brat or Hauler enough.

JSmall sorry for bailing Sunday way too many funny pops Saturday night needed some food.

We have too hookup again.

#9 ·
I think what else comes into play most of the stuff in the Oregon Dunes is short with no flat starts.

Some are turn your bike around above the water, start on the hillclimb. 20ft to 100ft

Go down into the trees sharp turn and your on the hillclimb. 20ft to 100 ft.

Most of the drag areas are 100 yards or less.4th gear isnt an option.

Is then the 6 paddle brat or Hauler enough.

JSmall sorry for bailing Sunday way too many funny pops Saturday night needed some food.

We have too hookup again.
[/b]

This is my thinking exactly! I'm not sure if a six is the best paddle to run here in Oregon with the type of riding we do. I'm trying to get as much info as possible so I don't make another mistake. Not only am I not sure about the Brats, but now the number of paddles :huh:

It sounds like you guys had a good time Saturday night. We got to talking to the people in the campsite next to us and before we knew it, it was 1 am. Next time we will have to go riding when everyone isn't so hung over :drunk:

#11 ·
I am not riding this weekend if you want to use mine.

But I have a Small window to get them too you.

Call me at the shop heading in right now.
[/b]
Thanks Mike!

I'm not riding until next weekend 13th - 15th. We'll have extra room if you want to come along. I'm going to SMI today if their shipment comes in so I should be okay. Thanks for the offer, and if anything changes I'll let you know.

#12 ·
I have never ridden in Oregon and I am not a tire expert but I can share my experiences with different tires and a theory.

I have always prescribed to the theory that in the sand hill climbing and drag racing "Tire Speed" is the key...or the faster you can spin the tires the more successful you will be.

With that being said, how fast can you spin an 8lb tire vs a 14lb tire? Obviously you can always spin the lighter tire faster...insert comp cut Brats here. Now, you have to multiply the weight by an unknown factor because of the rise in elevation itself...in other words, the lite weight will NOT pay off as much on a flat surface as it will on a hill.

I have 6 paddle brats and 9 paddle brats with the 9s being play cut and heavier. The 9s are a smoother ride in any hard terrain...you do not get the up and down because of all the space between the paddles of the 6. I would say the 9s dune a hair better because of the lack of space once again...

LS, OK has several tree shots that are pretty steep...at least steep enough to completely cover your tracks each pass. I believe I can make it up these shots faster overall with the 6 paddle tires and the front end is less likely to sky on me. I can spin the 6s faster and easier...therefore, on several of these climbs 2nd gear is it with the 9s while I can usually hit 3rd with the 6s. These hills overall are about 60' high so nothing like what you guys are doing at 300' plus.

All just my opinion...

#13 ·
I have never ridden in Oregon and I am not a tire expert but I can share my experiences with different tires and a theory.

I have always prescribed to the theory that in the sand hill climbing and drag racing "Tire Speed" is the key...or the faster you can spin the tires the more successful you will be.

With that being said, how fast can you spin an 8lb tire vs a 14lb tire? Obviously you can always spin the lighter tire faster...insert comp cut Brats here. Now, you have to multiply the weight by an unknown factor because of the rise in elevation itself...in other words, the lite weight will NOT pay off as much on a flat surface as it will on a hill.

I have 6 paddle brats and 9 paddle brats with the 9s being play cut and heavier. The 9s are a smoother ride in any hard terrain...you do not get the up and down because of all the space between the paddles of the 6. I would say the 9s dune a hair better because of the lack of space once again...

LS, OK has several tree shots that are pretty steep...at least steep enough to completely cover your tracks each pass. I believe I can make it up these shots faster overall with the 6 paddle tires and the front end is less likely to sky on me. I can spin the 6s faster and easier...therefore, on several of these climbs 2nd gear is it with the 9s while I can usually hit 3rd with the 6s. These hills overall are about 60' high so nothing like what you guys are doing at 300' plus.

All just my opinion...
[/b]
That is great information! I just bought another set of 20x10x8 8 paddle haulers, but with a 65" rollout and a set of 21x12x8 6 paddle haulers. I will test them out and decide from there. I couldn't pull the trigger on the brats, but after reading your last post I wish I would have.

#14 ·
That is great information! I just bought another set of 20x10x8 8 paddle haulers, but with a 65" rollout and a set of 21x12x8 6 paddle haulers. I will test them out and decide from there. I couldn't pull the trigger on the brats, but after reading your last post I wish I would have.
[/b]
What buff did you get on the tires?
What wheel thickness? .125?
What wheel widths with each set?

A good way to test them is to make several passes on the same shot and have someone time you...average all the runs for each tire throwing out the slowest and fastest runs.

You kind of put yourself in an awkward spot with the different roll outs...optimal gearing should be different between the tires...so now you have to add gearing into the mix!!!

So...let's say 4 different gearing combos, * 10 runs for each...*2 for two sets of tires...80 runs total!!! :eek: Oh and do not forget about different tire pressures!

That is the difference between the guys that really want to go fast and the guys like me that just pretend!!! The guys truly into finding the fastest way up the hill will make all those runs and then some!!! If you are one of the 4 stroke wars guys...try about 10 sets of tires, 8 gearing combos and probably 5 different tire pressures...you do the math! :lol:

#15 ·
What buff did you get on the tires?
What wheel thickness? .125?
What wheel widths with each set?

A good way to test them is to make several passes on the same shot and have someone time you...average all the runs for each tire throwing out the slowest and fastest runs.

You kind of put yourself in an awkward spot with the different roll outs...optimal gearing should be different between the tires...so now you have to add gearing into the mix!!!

So...let's say 4 different gearing combos, * 10 runs for each...*2 for two sets of tires...80 runs total!!! :eek: Oh and do not forget about different tire pressures!

That is the difference between the guys that really want to go fast and the guys like me that just pretend!!! The guys truly into finding the fastest way up the hill will make all those runs and then some!!! If you are one of the 4 stroke wars guys...try about 10 sets of tires, 8 gearing combos and probably 5 different tire pressures...you do the math! :lol:
[/b]
I understand what you are saying. The 20x10x8 are a regular buff on a 8x8 blue label with a 65" rollout and the 21x12x8 are a regular buff on a 8x8 blue label with a 66 or 67" rollout. I'm not trying to be the quickest guy out there, jsut trying to find the right combo for duning and the occasional drag.

Thanks

#16 ·
I'm not trying to be the quickest guy out there, jsut trying to find the right combo for duning and the occasional drag.

Thanks
[/b]
Understood...and I agree. I really do not spend much time at the drag strip myself. Spending the time finding the right tire size, weight, paddle count, and gearing will pay off every time you push the throttle...let me say again, every time you push the throttle.

Not bashing at all, just think about having a 15 lb tire in one hand attached to an axle...spin it as hard, fast, and for as long as you can...now do the same with a 10 lb tire. Basically YOU are the motor in this example...I drive my quads like my wife drives...all gas then all brake. Every time I push on the gas the right setup is paying dividends even though I am not on the drag strip or shooting one of those crazy looking climbs you all have in Oregon...just cruising a bowl or on a trail...make sense?

Now, get some Brats and then design some sort of a packable kevlar cover you can easily/quickly attach and easily store in a camel bak to protect the tires when crossing the asphalt and gravel!!! ;) Oh, and give me a free set of covers too! :lol:

I keep telling myself to STOP responding in the paddle tire threads because I am sure you all are sick of hearing from me...I am trying to fight the urges!

#17 ·

I keep telling myself to STOP responding in the paddle tire threads because I am sure you all are sick of hearing from me...I am trying to fight the urges!
[/b]

ha ha ha yeah me too....

I will say this, Try the brats once and you'll know instantly..... this is the HIGH you want :)

I tried them once and now I'm hooked on Padla-Crack :scoot:

this kinda reminds me of the 400ex air filter info.... it always seems to go in one ear and out the other. But once they see it in action..... they start listening.

I think to truely compare a brat to a hauler..... it needs to be comp cut vs. triple buff. I can still say the triple buff hauler is fly light but its not as wide as the brat. And wide is where the floatation and traction are probably going to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.