Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quad has a problem(the cam journals(?) got ground up but oil gets up there)

My question is:where is the oil pump at, i want to check it for any problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
under right side cover. You should download service manual if you want to service oil pump. Has anyone worked on your motor?

·
Registered
265 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (montanaLTR @ Apr 9 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
under right side cover. You should download service manual if you want to service oil pump. Has anyone worked on your motor?[/b]
the cam journals? i would guess they got torqued down too much, that happened to a kid i know..... oh and there is an oil pump under both the left and rightside crankcase covers

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah but pump#1 oils the cams.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at manuals.dqe.dt or what ever it is, an i couldnt find where they were.

I pulled off the clutch assembly, is there one under there and on the stator side?
And i guess this is the time to do the shift pin thing.

And no, no one has touched the motor but us.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes behind clutch there are two gears, the white plastic gear is the oil pump idler gear, the metal gear with the slot in it is the drive gear. Remove gears and three screws hold housing on. Make sure pump is reassembled correctly. Punchmarks must face proper directions. Inner pump gear holds shaft into position. Hope this helps, It seems like there used to be more help on this site, now it's all about a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil pump

You have 2 oil pumps, one on each side of the engine. Pump #1 is on the right side of the engine(clutch side). It has a plastic gear that is behind the clutch. Pull everything off that is in the way of it. Check to see if it is broken or the teeth are chewed up; if so, replace it with a new one. Pull 3 screws off oil pump cover and pull gears and shaft out to inspect. It should move smoothly. You might need to put something through pin hole on shaft to use as a pry area so you can pull it out. The #2 pump is driven by the shaft of the #1 pump. You can check pump #2 by turning that shaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
not to bump a ancient thread....but does anyone know the proper directions for the punch marks to face on the oil pump? the quad i bought it was all scrambled up not sure what way either of the 3 pumps have to face

1 - 8 of 8 Posts