Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just got my motor finished it was a complete rebuild top and bottom end new tranny and clutch and top end. Well I put oil in it 2 qts. started it up ran it a bit then checked again. no oil in tank !! so i added more and went and rode it came back checked again and no oil in tank after 3 1/2 qts i went and rode and it started blowing the oil out of crankcase vent. I have narrowed it down to the oil pump that returns the oil back to the tank. At this moment i do not have the tools to remove the flywheel so i can pull the oilpump out to check it. Im wanting to know if anyone has had a problem like this and if it could be something else. i have checked all vents and they r clear and the oil lines r clear too so I dont know what else would keep the oil from going back into the tank to circulate. Any help please. Thanks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
we had the same issue with the sons ltz400. It was the oil pump gear...it broke therefore not allowing oil to return.....just as you suspect

·
Registered
6 Posts
pull the clutch side of the engine apart and check the plastic oil pump gear. It is more than likely broken. If it is, pull the oil pump assembly out and replace. If it is stuck, you can put something (small allen wrench ect.) through the pin hole on the shaft and pry with a flat head screw driver or something like it from behing it. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keep in mind that if the plastic gear is broken , then there was no oil circulation through the engine. The number 2 oil pump(oil return and to engine) drives the number 1 oil pump via a connecting shaft. I would not start the engine until I found the oil flow problem first. Try this....(the clutch basket gear drives the oil gear), so....engine off,remove clutch cover,pull-in clutch lever,spin clutch basket (if possible),remove oil return line, see if oil flows. Never tried it ,just a hunch. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my z400 except i replaced the crank in mine, oil pump (both), and oil pump drive gear and it still doesnt return enough oil back to the tank. sometimes it returns oil good and sometimes it doesnt. I blew out all the lines and holes its all clean and bought a new oil pump and still the same thing. I can keep adding oil and it keeps pumping it into the motor withoput returning it faster until its gets to full and starts to smoke and pump oil out the that hole. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
If the oil pump gear is not damaged, and the oil pumps are DEFIANTLY, installed properly, then you have to have a clogged oil passage. I have seen this MANY times.

If you run this engine this way, you are going to get limited oil flow to critical areas of the engine and cause damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the same issue, rebuilt the complete motor, threw in oil not looking or worrying on how much as i woukd check dip stick, however each time after a start up it was empty, also blew all the oil out the breather after having around 4liters of oil in. Stripped the pumps only to find that the steel gear on the oil pump, clutch end was supposed to be installed the other way around keeping the shaft from pulling out the casing and return pump. Corrected this and all is well, pumps like it should and thank the lord no damage to the motor!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts