Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.........long story. 2008. All stock. Bought it semi running in august. I own an atv/bike repair shop, so i rarely have time to mess with my own stuff.
When i got it, it cranked forever, wouldnt idle, but, could eventually get it to run(sometimes) and ran ok 1/2 throttle and up. Tear it apart to put a new top end in it, found a cracked valve guide and someone intermixed oem and KPMI stainless valves without replacing springs.....SO.....new springs, valves, guide, seals were done. New cylinder, new wiseco piston, rings, gaskets, Timing chain, ect. Still the same thing! So, delete swirl filter, new fuel pump, clean FP regulator, new Oem fuel injector, new OEM TPS, new stator and regualtor(all OEM).
NO TUNER.

FP is 47psi cranking(out of the regulator)
TPS is set to .60V.
Stator and pickup are in spec according to the manual.(same as old)
Valves are 100% correctly shimmed.
Timing is 100% correct
Woodruff key is not sheared.
IAT reads in spec
MAP reads inspec at the given Hg’s.
Ive ran this PCM(oem) in another quad and it fires rightup.
Compression is at 85-90psi cranking.
Pulled the muffler to make sure it was from from obstructions, same for the intake.
The ONLY code it throws every once in a while is code 15(ECT). BUT, it should still run with that code set, just go to base mapping.
Also, the fan should kick on with that code, but, doesnt, the fan does work tho(manually applying 12v to it) It will fire off a couple times, and SOMETIMES run for 3-5 seconds at very low(barely above cranking speed) rpm.

ANY ideas????? Im thinking of replacing the wiring harness next, but, dont want to keep throwing parts at it! Ive ever had one this difficult to get running!!!
Ive exhausted about everything i can think of!
Ive checked everything i can think of, just at a loss.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Will it run with starting fluid? That will eliminate spark and spark timing issues. Have you replaced the spark plug? That is something easily overlooked

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the plug a couple times.
I did just figure out the issue about 5 minutes ago.

The intake cam gear and spun on the cam shaft by about 17°.

Not enough to make it noticeable by eye, but, obviously wouldnt run.

·
Premium Member
28,669 Posts
Cam caps being too tight would be about the only thing that would cause that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i kind of doubt that, only reason for that is because the cams ride in a bearing and would take more clamping force than the threads in the head would hold to lock the cam up completely.
I know the valves have hit the piston, before,
Probably why a guide was cracked and someone mixed stainless and titanium valves without replacing springs.
I would guess they had it wrapped up pretty good and the timing chain stretched(also had a manual tensioner) and thats what caused the cam to twist....combination of high revs, heat, and a pretty get hit to the valves from the piston.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts