Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm working in my cousins 2006 ltr450. For some reason I can get it to start but it will back fire. So I've done some basic stuff, changed the plug, removed the programer, check oil, smells like it's getting fuel... I am not familiar with these type of motors or electronics on them.. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check your valve clearances, they are very temperamental on LTR's

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
does the red light stay on when the key is put to the on possition?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I got the same issue!!!! no red light…

·
Registered
544 Posts
Actually I agree with both. The backfire could be caused from the valve(s) hanging open which need re-shimming. This will also make it seem like it's out of time because that would also cause the valve(s) to open out of sequence.

I'm going to tell you a very special place where you can find the info you seek...a service manual!!! Sorry don't mean to be a d*ck but that is one of the first things we tell newbies. They are available for free here on the forum but you can also buy a CD off Ebay for like $8.00. Good luck let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I saw this once on an ltr that ran perfect and had about 4 hours on a brand new bike and it was the flywheel key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I agree with both. The backfire could be caused from the valve(s) hanging open which need re-shimming. This will also make it seem like it's out of time because that would also cause the valve(s) to open out of sequence.

I'm going to tell you a very special place where you can find the info you seek...a service manual!!! Sorry don't mean to be a d*ck but that is one of the first things we tell newbies. They are available for free here on the forum but you can also buy a CD off Ebay for like $8.00. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Your not lol, service manual was where I have been headed. I didn't know if it went in depth enuff to explain the valve adjust. Looks like ill look into picking up a manual and pulling it down! This is a side project and may take some time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
I will send you the CD I bought and you can make a copy of it then send it back. I printed it using both sides of the paper and put it into a ring binder. I always have it handy in the shop and it saves me from having to keep going back to the computer every time. PM me your address and I will get it out on Monday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My ltr will not crank but it will turn over just like yours. I've replaced the plug, changed the oil, and checked wires. I'm not sure what's going on. Anybody know what could be wrong with it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts