Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

Newbie..with A Question

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  XxGlamisDunerxX 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just got a 2007 lt-r450 2 nights ago.
I owned a 2001 400ex previously.
I race for fun on the local MX track and do some racing in the woods to just for fun.
I live in Ontario Canada.

My question..

Im only about 140 pounds, and I find the suspension doesnt soak up enough for me, it tends to just bounce off the ruts rather then soak them up. So heres what I did. Took 3 turns out of the spring adjusters, 1 turn out of compression, and 1 turn out of the bottom adjuster which I believe is rebound. It still is not how I want it to be. So is there any advice you could give me on making the front suspension feel less ridgid...right now it feels like I have 2 steel tubes for shocks, it gives me BAD arm pump.

Thanks! :fro:

#2 ·
Hey guys I just got a 2007 lt-r450 2 nights ago.
I owned a 2001 400ex previously.
I race for fun on the local MX track and do some racing in the woods to just for fun.
I live in Ontario Canada.

My question..

Im only about 140 pounds, and I find the suspension doesnt soak up enough for me, it tends to just bounce off the ruts rather then soak them up. So heres what I did. Took 3 turns out of the spring adjusters, 1 turn out of compression, and 1 turn out of the bottom adjuster which I believe is rebound. It still is not how I want it to be. So is there any advice you could give me on making the front suspension feel less ridgid...right now it feels like I have 2 steel tubes for shocks, it gives me BAD arm pump.
Thanks! :fro:
[/b]

Back the collars out all the way and leave aroub 3 threads showing at the top. Now if you want a really nice, smooth rode on the smaller ruts have the shocks revalved. I weigh 210 lbs and on the small bumps it's just too stiff. On the hard landings the shocks do a fine job of soaking them up. I've heard good things aobut I-shock and their revalve service. I think it's aroung $300 for all 3 shocks.

#3 ·
The collars are around the adjustment screws right?
Back both top and bottom off?

Yeah I agree the shock are good on landings, but too stiff over little ruts specially at high speed, and just about every MX track has the big brake bumps.

#4 ·
Also when I ride real rough tracks or trails, my hands get real sore, Im in good shape and my hands and fingers get to the point where I cant move them, and my thumb starts slipping off the throttle on bumps. Does this have to do with it being too stiff up front, or should I invest in a stabilizer? Sorry for all the questions.

#6 ·
Also when I ride real rough tracks or trails, my hands get real sore, Im in good shape and my hands and fingers get to the point where I cant move them, and my thumb starts slipping off the throttle on bumps. Does this have to do with it being too stiff up front, or should I invest in a stabilizer? Sorry for all the questions.
[/b]
What you have is what we call "Arm Pump". It is caused by over gripping the hand controlls. To alleviate the problems:

1. Relax. This is the number one culpret for arm pump.
2. Nice set handle bars. Prefferably Fasst Flexx. They have rubber bumpers that soak up much of the bumps.
3. Good steering stabilzer. Presicion is about the best you can get on the market. This will greatly reduce fatigue.
4. Upgrade your suspention or at least get them revalved and set up for your style of riding.
5. Change the angle of your thumb throttle. Usually they are set at a general angle at the dealership. They mechanic sets them for his hands, which aren't yours.

These are some of the more commonly means of reducing fatigue. The most important though is to relax. Move with the bike and try not to fight it.

#7 ·
Take a look at this pic. Look at the rings above the springs. Take a screwdriver or a shock wrench if you have one and turn the top one counterclockwise to loosen it all the way to the top leaving 3 threads showing above the ring. Now turn the one below it all the way up to where the first one is. Now tighten them against each other and you're set. To me even with this adjustment it's just too stiff on the small stuff and that's why I'm going to have mine re-valved.

#8 ·
Ok thanks guys.
Its just with my 400ex I never experienced this before I could ride for as long as I wanted almost and not get this tired, but maybe its because I was turning slower lap times.
I will try everything you guys said, thanks! ;)

#10 ·
If u want to soften up the suspension, try a rebuild from Ishock.

#11 ·
Just a follow up..

I turn the springs to almost the top thread, and backed the compression off almost all the way, and also sped the rebound way up on the front, then did the same on the back but kept the spring where it was and its 100 percent better now, still a little choppy over little ruts but its ok. I also tried loosening up my grip and my hands dont get as sore anymore, Im going to the track this weekend and racing next weekend, do you think for MX track I should stiffen it back up, Im scared it wont jump straight now???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.