Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bent my stock axle. replaced it with a aftermarket one. I was looking for some info on what bearings seals and races were the best and where to find them. also any info on any special tools needed to complete this job?? thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i looked at a bunch of posts on here about axle replacements. and nobody seems to be changing out the seals or bearings when they swap axles. Im new to working on quads but i know on a truck axle the bearings wear to the shape of the axle and putting in a new axle with the old bearings is A NO NO.. so please help me out if anyone has any advice!

·
Registered
106 Posts
As long as your bearings didnt have play in them, you'll be fine by just replacing bent axle.. If you insist on changing bearings etc. You can buy kits from sponsors on the site or ebay. They usually run from 40 to 60 bucks for real axle bearing kit and it comes with everything needed. Or you can buy whole aftermarket carrier and it comes pre installed. As for tools needed, they make a bearing puller for this type of job but most press in and out using sockets. On install some freeze bearing overnight to ease with installing..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Juggernaut 7. have u ever replaced bearings or seals on a Quad. jus wondering if its hard and do u have to change the races out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will all bearing kits fit on a aftermarket axle or do i have to get a certain bearing kit to fit with my axle

·
Registered
456 Posts
im pretty sure that after market axles use the same bearings and i changed my axle bearings last year and used a punch to hit them out then for installing new ones i put them in the freezer and heated up the carrier with a little tourch and they slid right in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea ive installed a few sets in over the years and i have used the punch method, bearing puller, and socket.. Bearing puller is best way to get them out without risk but any of those three ways will work fine.. And ive ruined sets when i first started by using hammer and socket going back in so from my experience i dont recommend that. I would use a puller or freeze method. On the races there isnt any just all in one bearing and seals and in between those bearing on each side is a center tube...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts