Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what to do to my LTR before going to the dunes. I currently just have the cherrybomb, no airbox lid and baffle removed. Is there anything else that I need to get good performance at the dunes? Thanks

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have ridden stock gearing and down one tooth in the front. I preferred the stock gearing in the dunes. Get some decent paddle tires. If you want more power nothing provides more bang for you buck than an intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Front Suspension is a must have for the bottom of the hills and down sand highway! If you hit the sand with to many paddles on the rear tires and to much gearing you will not have enough motor. I went down one in the front and I didn't change the rear but it would have been better to go up to a 38 like the post above said. Bring tape for your lights and buy a good set of lights if you are going to dune in the dark. Also I have a set of plastics that have already gone through the sand so if you don't want to ruin yours let me know. If you are going to run an open air box you need to run an outerwear on it and a foam filter. Put a filter in your vent tube or the sand will get in you swirl filter. Bring a set of regular tires with you so you can ride outside of the dunes as-well. You need to change your oil every 2-3 days due to all the high rev's. Above all find someone at about the same riding ability as you and use the buddy system, this is very important. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
what dunes and what paddle tires will you be running? that will help in answering your questions better. stock gearing with larger that stock size paddles will put more strain on your clutch.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
-1 front cog will be a quick and cheap way to get your gearing down for a 20" paddle, with stock gearing, you will struggle in 3rd gear to climb some of the steep dunes like old or comp. if you back sprocket is worn out you can change that one and add a tooth or two. if you want to hit those steep hills a little harder you can strip some of the weight off like the heel guards, parking brake, front bumper, rear is for your whip mount and the skids. ltrs are fun but heavy, in the sand you want to be light to float easier. if you have issues with the whoops you can try to remove some of the pre load on the springs to smooth out the ride as well. good luck and have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts