Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just took the quad on the test trial run. I have a few acres in front of my house and gave it a top speed run. It definitely revs quicker, actually MUCH QUICKER. The throttle is super light, almost like it is not there. I still have popping at constant throttle (low speed), same issue with the efi. Need to figure out the issue on that.

Now for the good stuff.....I do contribute some of this to the efi system having a poor map in it-

In the grass or on my asphalt road the front end of the quad WILL NOT stay down in the first three gears. If you get on it, all three gears YANKS the front end up. I struggled to get the first 2 gears to do that before. It definitely gets going MUCH quicker, seemed to have to get on the brakes MUCH faster than before in the same area while having to shut it down.

I am extremely satisfied with this conversion and only WONDER why I waited so long to do it. If you are on the fence to doing this conversion, jump the hell off of it and make it happen, that's MY ADVICE!

Items need to make it happen-
41mm Flat Slide Carb (get one with a pump accell on it). Look for a 2003-2005 TRX450 Carb
Walsh Adaptor Ring for manifold side ($40)
TRX450 Thumb Throttle and Cable
Walsh Fuel Bowl Nut (this has been debated and may not be needed)
Fuel Shut off valve with about 12" of 5-16 fuel line

I did absolutely nothing with the sensors and wires. I disconnected them and let them dangle. I also did not hook up the tps on the carb, again let it dangle. I do have to start the quad within 5 secs of turning the key on. If it doesn't start turn the key off then on and try it again. Mine starts IMMEDIATELY when I bump the button and it NEVER did that before

For the install you will need to trim your heat deflector that goes under the tank (very simple with a dremel)
You will need to block off some of the ports on the tank- The top ports just run a line from one port to the next (makes like a U Shape)
For the bottom right side port put a bolt on one side of a piece of fuel line and zip tie the bolt insde the line then zip tie the line to that port. This just blocks the port off.
On the left side just run a piece of line about 8 inches out and add your shut off on the other end. From there run the fuel line to the carb.

Of course you will install the carb and make sure that it is on there well, make sure it went on flush all the way around so air and dirt is sealed from getting in.

You can run you stock air filter tube and filter. I have the Fuel Customs filter with NO air box and it went on nice and easy with no modification.

A few things to consider- They recommend to use heavy duty valve springs. I did not use them and have been informed that most do not. You will have to jet in the carb based on your mods. I ended up with a 44 pilot, 172 main, air fuel turned out 3 full turns and the needle clip on the last slot. I could use some fine adjustment but will let the master, Rick Todd do that for me.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
good to hear you are happy with the carb. if you need i have a gutted wiring harness for electric start and carb.
did you leave the injector plugged in and let it dangle?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No injector, no tps and no sensors. Sold it all haha. I am fine with the extra wires under there but I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
ok also to get rid of the starting problem where you have to start it within 5 seconds, just put a 10ohm 10watt resistor in-between the injector wires.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which side of the wire do I have to add in the resistor, I remember you telling me to do that

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Which side of the wire do I have to add in the resistor, I remember you telling me to do that
put the wire in both sides of the injector plug, one side of the plug is power from the fuel pump relay and the other side of the plug goes to the ecu.

if you buy my harness it already has the resistor on it :) LOL

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am lost...... I only have the plug from the harness dangling there, no injector or the plug from the injector, where does the resistor go

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I am lost...... I only have the plug from the harness dangling there, no injector or the plug from the injector, where does the resistor go
the resistor goes to the wires from the injector if the plug is not there your not going to be able to add the resistor

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why cant I cut the plug off the harness and add the resistor to the end of which ever wire it needs to be on

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Why cant I cut the plug off the harness and add the resistor to the end of which ever wire it needs to be on
you can cut the plug off but you need to use both of the wires that went to the plug. the orange is positive and the gray wire goes to the ecu and that is ground

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So tie the two wires together with the resistor. Does it matter which direction the resistor is going

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
what rear shock are you running and they don't make a 44 pilot jet :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PEP and I have to call BULLCRAP..... it is in my carb as we speak haha

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
gay!!! I have only seen 42,45, and 48 in jet kits. Who needs that much adjustability in there life. Just makes it hard to make a decision

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do not own the kit, got the 44 from a friend at the mx track last night. It had a 40 in the carb when I got it and obviously was way too small. The 44 made the popping on acell and decel go away

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
congrats on the carb swap. Money well spent imo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts