Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow members from Australia

I recently had my LTR450z catch fire after coming down hard on the front wheels.
After pumping a 1kg chemical fire extinguisher readily available underneath the front of the bike we managed to clear the smoke before it started to flame. Battery was disconnected within 5 min.

Narrowed it down to a melted voltage regulator which I’ve just purchased a new replacement.

Here’s the catch, bike has a K&N air filter, Yoshi exhaust, and a Yoshi cherry bomb.

With the bike having a low 122hours on the meter but being 14 years old now, I’m considering removing the cherry bomb to return back to standard mainly for reliability

Anyone here believe the cherry bomb could have caused the reg to melt down? Should I be checking other areas in case something else may have contributed?

Any advice or similar experiences to share?

Regards, Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a relief, new replacement regulator coming soon from Ebay, you think it’s safe to plug straight in and good to go?

Hoping the old part just failed from age and as a result of the front wheels coming down hard caused the “fizzle” on fragile internals of the old regulator?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting point you make. I have replaced the battery with a new one, same specification.
Not sure now what to do, obviously need to fit new voltage reg to get it started, concern now this one could cook as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts