Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one ltr (race bike) with a Yoshi kicker in it, then the shaft broke and I was not able to get a replacement (about 1yr. ago) so my hunt began for kicker parts. After about 30 hours of scouring the internet I found a replacement that would work from a different bike. Problem solved.

Two months ago I built my practice bike motor ( 511 stroker 13.5:1) put in a lithium battery and it wouldn't start it. :rolleyes1: so then I went through all of the possibilities including a d.m, starter, selonid, wires, switches etc. None of this worked it would only start fresh from the charger. So I had to do a kicker conversion. After about 80 hrs. of research,a few wrong parts and some machine work I finished the conversion then started my practice bike via kick start 2 days ago.

The only part I used from the Yoshi. kit is the kick lever. I am waiting for the one for this bike to be delivered.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have most of the numbers. One gear is no longer in production (can't find a number for it) . I am going to run the kit for a few hours to make sure there are no issues, than put kits together. So far I only have about 20 mins on it. Also this is in an 06. The 08-09 will be much easier to kick.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used parts from about 5 different bikes, some parts were parts of one part to make another work. such as a bushing from one bike would fit a part from another bike to make it work (after machining) as I needed. There were many failed attempts as you can imagine. LOL

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looking for a pic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is a pic of the second to last fit up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Here we go again lol
Better than why will my ltr not start or bike spits and sputters. One day someone will figure this kicker kit reproduction out lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The arm is not in because the idler was not done getting machined so it wasn't ready yet. The kicker lever that I thought it was arrived yesterday and it is not the proper one so I am still in the search for that.

update: I ordered 2 more parts to make a few adjustments, hopefully they will be in this week. During the initial mock up I cut one part to accommodate another that I am now changing and this is a minor set back since a replacement for the part I cut is on back order so I will be searching eBay for it. The best part is I didn't even use it. :-( Hopefully I will have a kit that is ready for a hard day of riding to see if it stands up to the abuse.

Just to clear up a few things I have read, I could not use an 01-03 rm 125 kicker. It looks identical but when I line it up with the yoshi kicker it is slightly shorter with a different angle and it rubs the frame towards the bottom of the stroke. So I cut out enough to clear the frame and the kicker had about 3/8 inch left so this is not going to work. I also tried 2 different lt250 set ups and the idlers did not fit nor was there enough gear to machine and have a gear left that would stay together. The kicker gears are way to small and the shafts are to short.

I have so many hours of research and failed attempts at this, but I am getting close to the end. I can't wait!

My thoughts are to do a kick back up kit just gears hardware and a kicker. Then I will do a second part that will have a battery (for in the air box) a bracket and one wire harness ready to be spliced in to your harness that can be plugged into a trickle charger.

Any thoughts. Please don't ask where the parts are from, I clearly am not ready to let the cat out of the bag. Sorry

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have one yet since I still have a few adjustments to make. I could probably figure one out by next week.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today the drive gear came back from the machine shop for the second time. I had a few adjustments made so I could use a different shaft and had the center bored out again and put in a bronze bushing so the gear and the shaft would not wear out quickly. The idler gear also has had a bronze bushing added to it. I have another kicker coming this week (4th attempt), hopefully it is the correct one. If it is I will go out for a day of riding to see everything works as it should. Then come home, take it back apart look for wear or anything out of place. If it looks good I will put a kit together and put a price on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the kick lever that seems to fit the best. I tried a few different options. This was the last part I was looking for. Thr DRZ kicker seemed to be a little to long but with the correct nerfs you would be ok. the rm 125 was to short and just didn't work well at all. the lt250 (certain years) would have worked but it was just very ugly and didn't stay in place to well.

My mock up is complete, I will be ordering the next set up to put another kit together soon. It will have one drive gear one idler both machined to fit the ltr. one shaft and misc. parts you will need one gasket and one kms shift pin re-locator. I don't run a capacitor on my race bike so I am not going to waste time adding one to this kit. If you want to eliminate the starter and battery you can put either a trail tech battery or a ballistic battery in the air box. I will post a pic of my battery in the air box tomorrow. I eliminated my capacitor after my original one was either going bad or was bad. Once I went to the battery in the air box the bike seemed to run much better and was easier to start. The capacitor was $90.00 to replace and the battery was $60.00 plus $4.00 in connectors from radio shack. If the trail tech battery weighs i think 12 oz.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have an 08 it will be much easier to start than an 06-07. both of mine are 06 and when i first put the kicker in it was a pain in the ass. now that I am used to it it is super easy i bring it up to tdc then kick and it fires right up. both of my ltrs are stroked with high compression. I would guess that a stock motor would be super easy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts