Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanna take my motor to local shop but only if the price is worth not going thru the headache! its an 06 ltr. i already have all the parts and the motor is already out... this is what i have to be installed: 498 big bore kit, hotrod crank assembly, and a hinson clutch kit. Can this be done under 500? 300? or is it more like 700? not asking for exact change but if the round about is right id rather not break into the motor. any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Chris

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Typical labor on that is around $450. I could do it cheaper if you want to ship it to me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
the only rip off in building a motor is splitting the cases. i rebuilt my ltr450 trans twice and once its out of the bike it takes 3 hours tops to complete take apart and rebuild and these ass hats charge $450!!! for what!!! its harder sometimes to replace rear carrier bearing's!! id send my whole motor out to get rebuilt if it wasnt for the ridiculous labor costs. it just amazes me a atv motor cost the same as a big block chevy to get machine work done! and it has 7 less cylinders and no its not easier to do a v8 just caculate how much less labor and setup is between the 2. and with these motors most shops just stick head in CNC machine and carbon copy the head from the other port jobs there little to no hand work anymore. i do want williams to build a motor for me one day but right now ill buy a complete LTR for 3500 with a race motor take it out put a stock motor in it and sell the ltr again for 3500 and have free motors.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
the only rip off in building a motor is splitting the cases. i rebuilt my ltr450 trans twice and once its out of the bike it takes 3 hours tops to complete take apart and rebuild and these ass hats charge $450!!! for what!!! its harder sometimes to replace rear carrier bearing's!! id send my whole motor out to get rebuilt if it wasnt for the ridiculous labor costs. it just amazes me a atv motor cost the same as a big block chevy to get machine work done! and it has 7 less cylinders and no its not easier to do a v8 just caculate how much less labor and setup is between the 2. and with these motors most shops just stick head in CNC machine and carbon copy the head from the other port jobs there little to no hand work anymore. i do want williams to build a motor for me one day but right now ill buy a complete LTR for 3500 with a race motor take it out put a stock motor in it and sell the ltr again for 3500 and have free motors.
Yes the labor is expensive you are correct. Yes I can tear an engine down replace a tranny and have the bike running in less the two hours but thats not how I would want a engine built for me. There are things like checking crank runout,cylinder head inspection, de carbon ports, checking valve spring pressure and so on that a typical person skips. It takes me a full 8 hour day to do a transmission rebuild for a customer because everything gets checked out. I do understand your point on the market though we pay dealer cost $43 for 2 aftermarket valve guides that are small , I just bought 8 copper guides for a Acura B18b head for $23 retail. .Another thing that people don't realize is the amount of machinery it takes to properly do this type of work which cost big money to get or you end up sending you work out to get done then you lose the quality control.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i do rebuild honda and vw transmissions and at one point made a living doing it. i still do them. did my first dirt bike trans at 13. so i do have quite a bit of experience doing this type of work. infact was the very first to do 02m vw trans with quaiffe in the US 2 weeks after release of the car in 02. so i do have unfair advantage. i truly believe williams puts this time into his motors and it shows with his reviews but most guys are on a budget and they can be done cheap much cheaper last one i did was a 08 bought a complete 06 trans off ebay for $125 put it in that bike now has 50 hours easy on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts