Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
07 Lt450r racing on a low budget haha
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I am new to the motor sports game. Been around it but never been in it. I have bought an ltr450, and went racing this weekend. During the race she broke down on me. And I’m thinking it could be one of two things. Bent valve (new top end recently, never been shimmed) or it was my fault.. I changed the oil and oil filter before the race. Guy at my local dealship suggested semi synthetic oil 😒 I’ve been told everything may be glazed over. I’ve never seen the inside of a motor. Don’t know anything about them, but I want to learn! I need to, because this is what I want to do with my weekends! I have no idea what I’m doing. Any help with diagnosis of problem and a step by step on trouble shooting and what to look for when I get in there is much appreciated.. y’all are the gurus, and I’m here to learn. Taking the motor out tonight with a buddy. Thank you so much in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: motor is out, top end looks to be good. Timing seems to be right (buddy of minE is knowledgeable, but this is his first go with 4 strokes. He strictly a 2 stroke dirt bike guy.. My first time ever) how ever we ran into a problem. We can not get the top end off!!! With the high compression with 91 octane gas 1% ethanale, the seal is locked on! We tried everything, to beating on it with a mallet to break free to prying as carefully as possible, nothing! It’s just 4 bolts right? What are we missing? Is there a trick to get the top end to break free from the jug so I can check there for my issue? Any suggestions is a big help!

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Moved thread to the proper section.

Reactions: ElliottRC

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
How did you confirm everything was ok with timing? Did you put the motor to TDC? Did you check the cam gear for proper markings at TDC?
Jug should come off fairly easy with the rubber mallet. Did you confirm the piston isn't stuck in the jug. Pictures go a long way on a forum, this will help is ensure your are doing things correct.
Biggest thing you left out is what did you do to trouble shoot if the motor needed to be pulled? Compression test? Spark test? Fuel Test? Also another big part is what happened when it broke down? Did it shut off? Did it bog down and die?

Or just drive the motor down to me and we will get it fixed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on top of the hill coming out the woods, and headed down the hill in first gear dogging it, barely, if even On the throttle. When it made a nasty sound, a clink and clunk sounds like something was being chewed up, backfired And stopped me. Obviously would not start again. It would roll once and then you could hear the nasty sound again but after that it wouldn’t even make the sound after a few tries of starting it. Another buddy of mine is telling me he thinks I have dropped a valve. ( the top end was done by the guy I bought it off of, but never but a single minute on it. He never shimmed or adjusted the valves afterwards and I was not informed of this before going to the race. Was only told the top end was re done

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Turn the motor backwards that will tell you if a valve is stuck in the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts