Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am racing my 1st ever Hare Scramble in 3 weeks. As I understand it, this is a 1.5 hour long race and the course is about 3 miles long. How often can I expect to stop for gas? How many miles should I be getting to a tank - assuming I am HEAVY on the throttle the entire time?

Is there anything else that I might really need for this race?

HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
are you on a stock tank and what series are you running?

·
Registered
350 Posts
id say u will prolly be fine just make sure its full when u go up to staging

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
i would think youll be fine. I have a ims tank and i burn over half a tank of that in one race from a topped off tank.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I have run 2 and half hours on one stock tank. That was an 8 mile course but was fairly tight not alot of fields

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
Welcome. My wife, daughter and I all have run those races on a stock tank 06 LTR with a full exhaust crbm and not run out. You should be fine. The 08s used more fuel and can't finish without a splash towards the end.

Are you gonna hit round one at Aztec? Lots of deep sand in the creek bottom. I recommend 20" or taller tires.

Here is the course from 2 years ago. this is my wife. we had to stop due to lightning.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You will have plenty of fuel. I run FTR 1.5 hour races and GNCC 2 hour races and I don't run out. Plus my motor is built.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input. I will make sure to fill it up and let her rip!!

Yes CQR- I am riding the 1st race at Aztec. Thank you for the video, that helps a little bit. I've never ridden at Aztec (or any Hare Scramble) before, so this should be fun. I'm a little concerned about racing for 1.5 hours, just thought it would be a few laps. Not sure what to expect. Do you stop for any reason other than gas during the race?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
NO!!! Run as hard as you can for as long as your body can take it lol

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
You will be fine I race a hole race with cams and a full exhaust and a stock gas tank and I was fine
why do i lap you?
Idk maybe it's because I'm 14 and you have more experience then me I've only done 5 races and two of them I was on my 400ex just wait I'm getting more practice in I'm riding every weekend and some times during the week and ill be lapping you soon :) ill get a custom number plate that say "why do I lap you?"

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. I will make sure to fill it up and let her rip!!

Yes CQR- I am riding the 1st race at Aztec. Thank you for the video, that helps a little bit. I've never ridden at Aztec (or any Hare Scramble) before, so this should be fun. I'm a little concerned about racing for 1.5 hours, just thought it would be a few laps. Not sure what to expect. Do you stop for any reason other than gas during the race?
Have fun with it. Pace yourself, don't have a death grip on the bars and remember to breathe. Set your goal on finishing not necessarily winning. 1.5 hours at race pace is tough. I don't stop unless I just can't hold onto the bars anymore. Try to focus on each obstacle and how to do it faster each lap. Its a short course so there will be a lot of laps. Make sure you hold your line as the faster riders will always find a way around you. Its a really good group of riders, and there are lots of people to help.
Are you racing with someone, or are you doing this yourself? I'm guessing by your screenname you just finished the Roamers races? Not sure if the kid and I will make that race or not. I do want to hit a few this year. I love the course at Ram Off-road Park.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes CQR I am doing this alone. I saw a flier for it, and thought it would be fun to try it.
I also have a motorcycle, so I might try the women's class for that as well. Just wanted to know if I was missing anything important. Other than just show up and race!

And yes, I did just finish the Roamers series.

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
There is a group on FB that does the series. Since there are so few of us Quad racers we tend to stick together. If your on FB, look for Colorado quad racers and join in.

George puts on a real good series, and treats us fairly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts