Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I took a pair of lone star xc -1 a-arms that are meant for a 19 1/2 in shock and cut 1 inch off of them. Now the shock are to tall i think i should buy a pair for 18inch eye to eye fox shocks how can i be sure what i need now. because the nike is sitting up WAY TO TALL. thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
1,326 Posts
why did you cut a inch off of the a arm?. Did you just cut off an inch where the hiem joints go to connect to your frame. If you did that you need to mount the shock mounting point a inch down closer to the knuckle. Your shock wont work right with them being closer like that. even if you would get 18 inch shocks they wont perform like they should

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I thought about doing this to the stock arms but ended up getting a wicked deal on -1 1/16 houser mgc arms. They will not bind or break if you took your time and did a quality job. But you will need to move your shock mount down one inch from its previous point if possible which on some arms it would be very difficult. It seems like running a shorter shock would work but now you just defeated the purpose of cutting your a arms cause your not saving any money having to buy different shocks

·
Registered
727 Posts
depending how you did it there can be some shock binding. 1" isnt much but the real issue is the change in the geometry of the spindle if the arms arent adjustable you might have the caster and camber way off.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
depending how you did it there can be some shock binding. 1" isnt much but the real issue is the change in the geometry of the spindle if the arms arent adjustable you might have the caster and camber way off.
I wouldn't think caster or camber would change if you took exactly one inch off both the top and bottom arms. Maybe a slight change in camber but not seeing any castor change.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I wouldn't think caster or camber would change if you took exactly one inch off both the top and bottom arms. Maybe a slight change in camber but not seeing any castor change.
maybe not at ride height but at compression thats different as the arc of the wheel is inboard and now follows a different path im not saying it will be extreme or anything but alot of geometry goes into arm design through the entire suspension travel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you just cut off an inches where the joint parts go to get connected to your structure. If you did that you need to install the surprise increasing factor a inches down nearer to the knuckle. Your surprise will never perform right with them being nearer like that. even if you would get 18 inches excitement they will never execute like they should . . . . . . . . . .

surfers paradise car rentals

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.