Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

Gussets For The Ltr?

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  nlvredneck 
#1 ·
I was wondering what you guys thought about putting the gusset kit on this bike... I never put one on my Banshee and never had any problems... I have heard Suzuki is notorious for having crappy frames... I have mine fixed from the recall already and I am pretty sure its going to hold great, even better than with a gusset kit on that one spot... Its welded way up on the frame... So anyway... I am not the best MXer out the there but I am trying to get faster... I just don't wanna get decent then have a screwed up frame... BUT, on the other hand I don't wanna tear my bike down and have the frame repainted if I don't have to... Thanks for any input... I was also wondering what you guys have done also...

#2 ·
IMO if you are TRYING to be a better m-x racer that means you probably are riding the quad pretty "heavily"
meaning pounding into faces of whoops, casing into tops of doubles coming up shorter on landings from jumps ect... ect...
Riding "lighter" will ease the stresses put into the frame usually! Your skill level increases you don't pound the quad as much and all and just generally ride smoother and faster! Not saying you're not a good rider just making an opinion to what you typed out here.
I know the OLDER LT250r's had some real issuses with weak front ends, mostly '85-'86 and racers of any skill level had to gusset pretty much,LOL!!! My '88 LT250r wasn't to bad, but I started with decent front shocks and all right from the get go! I did gusset 1 of my '88 front ends just in case. It was my first '88 that I owned and had just sold the older '86 and thought I better do it!!!
I don't know for sure how these new frames are holding up. I would hope Suzuki had learned from past mistakes and did frame structure testing beforehand with computer controlled robotic hydraulic cylinder's on major stress points of the frame! I saw this type of testing being done personally firsthand before the Aluminum framed LRD type stuff was released into production. The company I saw it at was working with crotch rocket race teams and had all the test equipment on site! Basically like a "frame dyno" if you will! LOL.
Has anyone seen if the Team Suz./Yosh. quad's have gussets? Then again you're talking about rider's with exceptional skill level's and the BEST suspension money can buy! So...
Are these gusset kits really a sales gimmick or do these frames hold up? I guess time will tell for sure if the factory did they're homework and made this stuff tuff',LOL!!!
Might not be a bad idea for you now just as kinda' an insurance policy! Then again some people like to "Roll the Dice" ALOT!!!
My $.02 :)

#3 ·
I've seen my buddies frame cracked up front by the shock mounts on all of his LTRs but they are holding up better then the LTZs. Where it cracked at looked like it'd be easy enough to gusset. He's got good suspension and is a National ProAM rider but is pretty damn hard on equipment.

#4 ·
Well I work 12's with a 4 and 3 week.... so I ride all three days I have off... I am stationed in Guam right now and they have one track here... It is not the most high flying track out there but its ok... Mostly table tops instead of true doubles because there are a lot of young beginning riders here... We have two former pro riders that I have been trying to learn a few things from... I spend pretty much all three days on the track... I seem to land pretty smooth... I mean I don't beat myself up too awful bad... There is only 2 jumps on the track that I'm mostly worried about... I flat land those pretty good for now, but its not too hard of a landing...

#5 ·
Unles you're pounding that frame like a A rider it should hold up.

#6 ·
If you look at the front shock mounts they are not welded all the way around the washers. I wonder if the front was welded all the way around if it would strengthen it up, since thats what they had to recall on the rear, and depending on where there cracking at up front?

#8 ·
Dont worry about the frame, they are very strong from the factory.

If you didnt tank your banshee frame, then this wont give you any problems.

A gusset kit can actually do your frame harm, because the OEM frames are designed to transfer stress, and a gusset kit and alter the flex patterns resutling in a broken frame.

You may see paint chipping on the joints on the front shock towers, but this is just the frame flexing. The LTR's are tough quads, you will be fine.

#9 ·
speaking of paint flaking.... when i rolled mine i bent the steering stem and the part of the frame that comes up where the upper steering stem bracket is bolted is flaking at those joints... is something to worry about??

#10 ·
I wouldnt worry about it too much. I dont think the LTRs need a gusset kit like the other production quads out there. And if you do get a gusset kit get a good one, dont just buy the cheapest one out there. I gusseted both my YFZ and TRX frames, the yamaha had a walsh kit and was awesome, the TRX has a Bare kit and there is a MASSIVE crack by the engine mount almost right where the gusset stops. I think it might have something to do with improper gusseting. One thing I will say is that the Ltr frame is the most impressive stock frame i have seen so far, and i have owned all 3 of the popular 450s now.

#11 ·
His is cracked on the round tubing just below where the front shock mounts intersect it. They are cracks that have now been welded. Not saying it's a junk frame because it ain't, just saying thats where I've seen them crack. Hell you can crack any frame. The only ones I haven't cracked have been my Aluminum R chassis and my Walsh that had my CRF 530 in it. I didn't run either of them very long though. The CRF was too much of a handfull and I retired before racing the LRD chassis much. Loved'ed both though!

#13 ·
let me tell ya from my experiance last sunday when my ltr rolled about 100+ feet down a sand dune and it totalled it because YES THE FRAME BENT UP on the right side from the very front all the way to the first down tubes :angry: the a-arms,tie-rods,7/8" steel bars, wheels were all straight,no bends,scratchs nothing! so in my opinion the frames are a little weaker than they should be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.