Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I got my new toy a few weeks ago I've put about 150 miles on so far with no issues. I was riding yesterday and after a couple hours I just happened to look down at the header (Fmf power bomb) and i could have lit a Cuban cigar off it, glowing orange. It was almost dark which made it stand out more but this is the first time I've seen it like that. I know it gets hot but is it supposed to get that hot??? It scared me, thought I was about to blow my engine so I headed straight home. My question is why would it get that hot or is it normal? I would hate to damage my engine and have a ride planned for later today and tomorrow and don't want to take it if I'm gonna mess somethin up. Please help, any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's actually about right, 4-5in. was glowing. Mods: 493 big bore kit, hot cam, Fmf powercore 4 with powerbomb header, yoshi cherry bomb, k&n with no lid on box. That's it engine wise. Ive road rockets for years and always maintenanced them myself, even completely rebuilt a 04 gsxr 600 once so i feel comfortable saying i know a little bit about an engine but I haven't been on the quad scene in about 10 years so I'm out of date on the new EFI quads, i basically know nothing about my 450 as far as some things go...ive had numerous bikes including hayabusas one of which i still own and i have never seen a header glowing like that on them. Lol It was definitely orange though, like I had a torch to it orange so idk. You evidently know more than I do so what do you think it could be based on mods?

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
Too many mods for just the Cherry bomb. With the extra bore and heavier cam, you need a programmer and a tune. Cherry bomb is good for a full exhaust, no lid, and air filter. Once you mod the internals you aren't getting enough fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I'm glad these forums exist! Like I said I know basically nothing about it so I appreciate the help! That's the mods the guy I bought it from said it had anyway, I grew up with him and he decks out everything he gets so I took his word on the internal work. He also takes very good care of everything and the quad was mint so I trusted him and bought it.
That makes sense though because the one other thing I forgot to mention is that when I'm goin down hills or just slow around water holes etc., it cuts off if I'm not continuously revving it, not always but most of the time. Once it gets warmed up it will sit and idle but wants to die out under the other circumstances...maybe that's why? I guess i won't ride this weekend to get all this figured out. I was already gonna change the oil and filter, spark plug and replace the antifreeze but I suppose getting rid of the cherry bomb and getting a programmer is now added to the list. I've been searching though threads all morning as to what kind of oil, plug and antifreeze to use. I noticed your posts in some older threads on oil and stuff and also noticed the amount of posts you had on here so you evidently know a thing or two about these machines and their maintenance so if you don't mind could you recommend to me which type of oil, plug, antifreeze and programmer I should get based on mods? I had great success with the Rotella T in my sport bikes and was probably gonna use that unless there's a new reason I shouldn't.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With them mods done hes lucky to still have a piston and jug left....I just did one a guy brought in and he had cams and big bore and port work, dasa exhaust, and fuel intake running just a cherry bomb and locked the piston in the cylinder. Had to cut the rod to get the jug off and 2200 dollars later he was back in action. The pc5 and auto tune this time lol. He said he heard shady things about the guy who did it last time.He should have ran lol....He said it didnt run long and im suprised it ran at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That kinda makes me wonder if he really had all that Work done to it then. I've put at least 20hrs on it since I've had it and he said he put about 10 on it after he had the work done. I ride pretty aggressively too. It seems to run and idle fine with the exception of the whole wanting to die out when I go down hills and slow around water holes, not always and not bad but it does it. I'm just confused now. Wish I knew for sure what was actually done to it, I don't think the guy was lying about it but idk.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
you don't mind could you recommend to me which type of oil, plug, antifreeze and programmer I should get based on mods? I had great success with the Rotella T in my sport bikes and was probably gonna use that unless there's a new reason I shouldn't.
make sure your oil is rated M and i run Evans coolant. Its what Borich uses in his quads to stop them from over heating. Its a little pricey but worth it i think. plug i use ngk plugs i like them and they never fail. Programmer i would go with a yoshi or a pc 3 or higher

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
I run Rotella 15W40 in the summer and 5W40 in the winter, I use engine ice, and I run the stock plug. As far as programmers, all my zukes are stock enough I don't need one, I agree with the above on the pc3 or higher, but when I do build hard enough I will get a PC5 with autotune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts