Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
here are 3 little tips that I have learnd. #1 be the first one to dump the clutch, catch the other guy off gaurd. # 2 dont be the guy sitting behind where everyone is launching from, the extra 2 pounds of sand your wearing is not going to make you any faster. #3 dont forget to tighten your lug nuts, its emarrasing tightening them at the bottom of the hill with an open end wrench!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
here are 3 little tips that I have learnd. #1 be the first one to dump the clutch, catch the other guy off gaurd. # 2 dont be the guy sitting behind where everyone is launching from, the extra 2 pounds of sand your wearing is not going to make you any faster. #3 dont forget to tighten your lug nuts, its emarrasing tightening them at the bottom of the hill with an open end wrench!!![/b]
:) :) :) it happens to the best of us, if i hadn't noticed the wobbly wheel that would've been the only time i could have beat ya, but nobody wants to win that way :tups:

·
1,469 Posts
I have nothing to add or share unfortunately, but this is good topic so I thought I would give it a bump! :)

I got to see Rich and OKC-LTR put their drag racing skills to use this weekend in person. Cool guys and they can race! OKC stated he keeps it pegged before starting. And I now know that Rich does the same. That baby bounces on the limiter while waiting to start. The limiter works for sure! :lol: I'm not sure that I've hit mine yet.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have nothing to add or share unfortunately, but this is good topic so I thought I would give it a bump! :)

I got to see Rich and OKC-LTR put their drag racing skills to use this weekend in person. Cool guys and they can race! OKC stated he keeps it pegged before starting. And I now know that Rich does the same. That baby bounces on the limiter while waiting to start. The limiter works for sure! :lol: I'm not sure that I've hit mine yet.[/b]

HAAHA Yeah ADAM throw down the Gauntlet though so dont let him fool you...Word to the wise, if you have some pretty good power, Be sure you are running some Kick ass Paddles. I had Sandstars and they were SHIT....before i had an Filter. i could launch like no tomorrow but after adding a filter. i got way better power downlow and i just spin and spin...Time for some new Haulers or paddle brats.

·
Registered
58 Posts
All I can say is the ol LTR450 was :first: last night. We had drag racing 101 at the house last night and I had a blast smoking the yfz 450 and the raptor 660. The raptor is a 686 or 683, cams,piston,curtis sparks exhaust. As for the yfz ron woods exhaust and dyno tuned. It wasn't even close, I had to ask my wife at the finish line how many bike lenghts, she said about 6....This baby rips.....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All I can say is the ol LTR450 was :first: last night. We had drag racing 101 at the house last night and I had a blast smoking the yfz 450 and the raptor 660. The raptor is a 686 or 683, cams,piston,curtis sparks exhaust. As for the yfz ron woods exhaust and dyno tuned. It wasn't even close, I had to ask my wife at the finish line how many bike lenghts, she said about 6....This baby rips.....[/b]
ha ha ha good to hear.

Yeah Adam is probably one of the best drag racers I was able to line up with. He's real consistant and held me to a 2 bike length loss all day. Adam you have some great bike handling skills too (well beyond drag racing). It was great seeing a yoshi piped LTR pretty much owning everyone!

·
1,469 Posts
Yeah Adam is probably one of the best drag racers I was able to line up with. He's real consistant and held me to a 2 bike length loss all day. Adam you have some great bike handling skills too (well beyond drag racing). It was great seeing a yoshi piped LTR pretty much owning everyone![/b]
Thanks Rich! I wish I could write it down in words how I get off the line. I've nearly been accused of jumping b/c I get off the line so hard, but I don't budge til the arm goes down. I'm not sure what thought process or what actions I take, but it seems to work. I think really it is reaction time and body position. Heck, I had to get off the line hard, otherwise I would have had a stock piped LTR running right beside me! :blink: :p

Dang I wanted to ride with you guys more.... just never worked out. I like hitting the trails hard and wailing off some dunes too. We didn't get to go rip it up though.... I'm sure there will a next time. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
No, Snake Hunt for Clone?????

·
Registered
897 Posts
Like i said before, i just keep the throttle pegged at the line and drop the hammer the moment i see a hand start to go down..Its like Lining up at the drag strip...I Launch as soon as it pretty much hits yellow so I'm already gone at GREEN and no red light for me :) :)

·
1,469 Posts
No, Snake Hunt for Clone?????[/b]
It's looking like a yes now! :first:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
ok fat guy on an ltr with the cherry bomb/lid/silencer thing running 6 paddle haulers.

stock gearing.

how do you start the drag race? meaning what gear, what throttle position, dump the clutch, let it out normally, etc, etc.

I'm new to shifters thanks. (love them by the way now that I've converted)

·
Registered
374 Posts
ok fat guy on an ltr with the cherry bomb/lid/silencer thing running 6 paddle haulers.

stock gearing.

how do you start the drag race? meaning what gear, what throttle position, dump the clutch, let it out normally, etc, etc.

I'm new to shifters thanks. (love them by the way now that I've converted)[/b]

With stock gearing you will have to start in first. I would consider droping a tooth on the front, you will still have to start in first though. As far as the launch it's all about getting the bike to leave as hard as possible without flipping over backwards. :mafia:

I slide my body weight all the way up on the gas tank and lean forward. I usually pin the throttle a 1/2 second before I dump the clutch and away you go.

Starting on flat ground is a little tricky with a stock swinger. If your starting on a decline it's alot easier.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
we usually start on a downhill so that helps.

so you just totally let the clutch out right? do you shift to second pretty quick?

I just need to practice a lot more but appreciate any tips pointers in the right direction. I refuse to ask my riding buddies.. lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts

so you just totally let the clutch out right? do you shift to second pretty quick?

I just need to practice a lot more but appreciate any tips pointers in the right direction. I refuse to ask my riding buddies.. lol.[/b]

Yep just dump the clutch. It takes practice soon it will be like second nature.

Second gear comes up pretty quick. A race will be won or lost at the start. The better you get at launching the faster you will be.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I just need to practice a lot more but appreciate any tips pointers in the right direction. I refuse to ask my riding buddies.. lol.[/b]
Busted.

I'll show you 764. I got quite a few holeshots back in the day when I raced motocross. One tooth smaller sprocket on the front may help you a ton. I'm not very heavy so I could clutch past first and not bog. (start in 2nd gear) If you can gear it and start in second...most of the hype and tension has passed before you shift into 3rd. You would have normally had to throw a 1st to 2nd in there while you were busy trying to keep the front end down and straight. It's easy.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Busted.

I'll show you 764. I got quite a few holeshots back in the day when I raced motocross. One tooth smaller sprocket on the front may help you a ton. I'm not very heavy so I could clutch past first and not bog. (start in 2nd gear) If you can gear it and start in second...most of the hype and tension has passed before you shift into 3rd. You would have normally had to throw a 1st to 2nd in there while you were busy trying to keep the front end down and straight. It's easy.[/b]
uh genius, you are a riding buddy. I'm not legally allowed to talk to you. Did you get the memo?

besides broken bones screwed up my drag racing learnings.

·
Registered
22 Posts

There's a new memo out. You can talk to me...but I'll show you once (you're brain isn't broken), then when you heal up you can practice on your front lawn.

·
Registered
897 Posts
450's can be launched off the rev limmiter. If you had a torqe monster like a 700 then I'd be more worried.

its all about tire speed off the line. And don't lift off the throttle when you shift.[/b]

Couldnt agree more...
I will watch a few races usually before i head to the Line. Ill see where the Main woops are and where the smooth line is. With my Haulers, i like to find a nice part of the sand where someone dug in pretty good. I will bounce off the rev limiter in 1st gear then just pop the clutch and feather coming out of the whole if i keep spinning. I shift like a mad man and wont let go of the throttle untill i shutdown. if i get the launch on you, you better have a faster bike to catch or pass me :) :)

I would have to say Rich S, Clone ( Adam ) or my best competition i ever had when it comes to racing LTR's. They both come out of the whole like no tomorrow. I have been beaten by a few LTR's but they usually had + Swingarms and alot more mods then us. I think i do pretty good for only INTAKE/PIPE/PC3

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Is it harder on the bike holding the gas down while shifting or does it not really matter? I always thought it was hard on the clutch and tranny, atleast it always seemed tough on cars and seems tough on my YFZ.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts