Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a replacement for these? i've seen numerous ones leaking and ones that have broken... mine is starting to leak a little and i'd like to get it fixed

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are you talking about the triangular shaped box mounted just above the oil tank?

I've heard that it needs to be there but we removed ours and have run 4 bikes like that for a few years with no problems. We put a "tee" fitting on the hose coming from the head cover and ran a hose from the tee to the crankcase and one that vents below the bottom of the frame. It vents very little oil but I would not do this if you make it a habit of crossing water. We strictly ride mx.

I've seen the pro bikes like this or they keep the box and remove the hose from the intake boot and let it vent out the bottom of the frame or I have also seen them fab a cover with a fitting that mounts to where the starter used to go into the case and relocate the hose from the intake boot to it. I don't understand that method. I assumed the hose to the intake was to relieve crankcase pressure and just run the oil back through the motor to burn it off instead of venting to the ground/atmosphere. It seems to me that would build crankcase pressure..???

Don't forget to pull the elbow from the intake boot and silicon it up good if you do this.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I took the elbow from the intake boot out and hooked up a small K&N filter like the yfz's
Just make sure you plug that hole.

i didn't remove the whole black box up front like he did ^ . i run through water sometimes or weather conditions

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I stand corrected on the practice of removing the "catch" tank.
Throughout this season my son has been riding harder and spends alot more time riding near the rev limiter. Lately I have noticed that after a race or practice his bike would be up to 1/2 quart low on oil. We found out that it was being blown out of the head cover and lost due to removing the tank and his riding style.
We replaced the "catch" tank but did not reattach the hose to the intake boot. We left that hose to vent to the ground.
This has stopped the loss of 1/2 quart of oil per ride and the bikes now maintain their proper oil levels.
I never like to give false information. So thus we now recommend leaving the "catch" tank in place and remove the hose to the intake boot and let it vent to the bottom of the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts