Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm Ken, I used to own a 2006 Polaris Predator 500 over 10 years ago and I finally feel it's time to get back into the off-roading action! I haven't bought anything yet, though from the looks of things, it seems like mostly ALL manufacturers left the scene aside from Yamaha.

Because of this, I'm here to get some guidance. I'm 35, 5'11" and a husky 230lbs. My Predator was quite fun but it's lack of aftermarket was limited. But I still lowered it, widened the front and rear, added a slip-on and intake. It WAS fun but didn't have the "zippiness" as say my brothers '06 YFX450 had; even though our speeds were pretty darn similar - drag racing wise. I always compared my Predator to a Cadillac vs my brothers YFZ as a go-kart. The YFZ from what I recalled had the top end power while mine had the low end pep. Again, both were great, but I want that top end power (I do like high speeds), but now that I gained a few pounds would a LTR450 (Yamaha YFZ450r, KFX450r, CamAm 450) work? Or would a Raptor 700r, Outlaw 525/KTM be a better pick?

Visually, I like my low, wideness stance. And since I live in the desert (SoCal) we have a lot of rolling hills and wide trails, so desert riding would be around 80% and sand dunes the rest.

Thanks for all you help!
Ken

P.S., I like the LTR450's but worried about all the so-called transmission issues. It sounds like it's a gamble on who's breaks or lasts the longest. Not to mention the 2008+ years are worse apparently. What are people doing to fix this?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
tranny problems seem to be a mx issue. prob with guys resting their boots on the shifter. KMS out of phx had company that does destructive testing on metal parts analyze broken gears and its not because the gears are weak. guys that strictly drag race ltr dont seem to break gears either and drag racing with paddles/slick would def put more of a strain of gears than mx.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I have around 200 hours between two motors racing xc. They are an 06 and 07 never had a transmission failure. Definitely seems like a mx racing thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts