Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my engine does have a but it has a purposely made mark for TDC and also I looking in the spark plug hole to see posting fully up... now my cams aren’t lining up so I just put the exhaust cam lobe aaround the 10 o clock position(1st pin at the top dot mark) and my intake cam lobe around the 1/2 o clock position (15th pin at top center mark I rotate the engine few times and dames to be moving smooth i guess can someone confirm this is good to go

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
that is way off, cam lobes should be at 10 and 2 at TDC

check page 3-76 in the LTR manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they are about 10(exhaust) and 2 o clock (intake) and when I spin the engine by hand valve open and close but on the 4th cycle right before TDC My exhaust valve are about half way open is that normal

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
No, your picture shows them way off. even if it's not on TDC. If it is on TDC one dot on the exhaust cam should be straight up and the other should line up with the head to the left. On the intake one dot should be straight up and the other should line up with the right side of the head with 15 pins from dot to dot on the top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No, your picture shows them way off. even if it's not on TDC. If it is on TDC one dot on the exhaust cam should be straight up and the other should line up with the head to the left. On the intake one dot should be straight up and the other should line up with the right side of the head with 15 pins from dot to dot on the top.
okay tommrow afternoon I will look into everything and by the way my cam marks doesn’t line up like one dot straight up and one dot marketing the head so I just decided to put my cam lobe into the 10 n 2 o clock position and made sure the to top dots were 14pins apart from each other

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
Those little holes in the sprockets should line up with the lobes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those little holes in the sprockets should line up with the lobes.
if your meaning those holes on my intake came it doesn’t line up with my lobe does that mean that my cam is no good... The reason I took down my engine was because I ran low on oil and smoke cane out exhaust with no start condition so I tore down the engine and only thing that was damage were my piston rings so I changed my entire piston one time and also my timing chain came off the bottom sprocket that’s in the bottom case

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
If those holes don't line up with the cam lobes it mean the cam spun on the sprocket. They can be pressed off re clocked and pressed back on with stud and bearing mount.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If those holes don't line up with the cam lobes it mean the cam spun on the sprocket. They can be pressed off re clocked and pressed back on with stud and bearing mount.
I doubt I can do that so my best option is the just get new cams? And why can’t I just set set my cam lobes in the 2 o clock position and spin engine by hand ? Can I do that take a closer look at the first pic of my cam and cam journals

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
Even a couple degrees off could tag a valve when it's up to temp and at high RPM.

·
Premium Member
28,672 Posts
Those gears don't come off that hard, most any small engine shop could do it in 10 min.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts