Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Ok I have to chime in on this one. I have had my blingstar nerfs and heel guards since Feb. They have been nothing but trouble. I will say this though before my rant, Freddy (owner of blingstar) has worked with me as much as possible, with that being said they whole setup is junk. The first problem I had was alignment issues. Same as everyone looks like. Then for some reason the bracket going to the subframe broke off. I sent them back and he sold me a new set at 50% off. That set broke in the same place within 10 min of riding. I sent them back and he welded some monster brackets and gussets on them. Well just this weekend in the first moto of a race the bolt that holds the heel guard to the foot peg actually pulled through the aluminum and proceeded to shred my rear brake line. Needless to say I am not to happy with them right now. I am probably going to switch to IMS. A little more pricey, but whats more important?

Wow...man am I glad you guys chimed in now...eeeekkk... :(

Ok I have to chime in on this one. I have had my blingstar nerfs and heel guards since Feb. They have been nothing but trouble. I will say this though before my rant, Freddy (owner of blingstar) has worked with me as much as possible, with that being said they whole setup is junk. The first problem I had was alignment issues. Same as everyone looks like. Then for some reason the bracket going to the subframe broke off. I sent them back and he sold me a new set at 50% off. That set broke in the same place within 10 min of riding. I sent them back and he welded some monster brackets and gussets on them. Well just this weekend in the first moto of a race the bolt that holds the heel guard to the foot peg actually pulled through the aluminum and proceeded to shred my rear brake line. Needless to say I am not to happy with them right now. I am probably going to switch to IMS. A little more pricey, but whats more important?
[/b]
it seems like you have had much worse luck than most. Mine may have needed some effort putting on, but i haven't had any problems with them. it sounds like the whole setup is still out of alignment causing extra stress on the brackets which WILL cause them to break. also about the bolt pulling through??? how the hell did that happen. mine came with decent sized washers and would be almost impossible to pull the bolt through the mounting hole. Also i would think that it would have been loose for a while to actually make the hole big enough to pull the bolt through. i dunno. just my $.02

UM nerfs are great. they are just like AC but cheaper

[/b]

That is too bad! :angry: I have had no problems with mine. :)

it seems like you have had much worse luck than most. Mine may have needed some effort putting on, but i haven't had any problems with them. it sounds like the whole setup is still out of alignment causing extra stress on the brackets which WILL cause them to break. also about the bolt pulling through??? how the hell did that happen. mine came with decent sized washers and would be almost impossible to pull the bolt through the mounting hole. Also i would think that it would have been loose for a while to actually make the hole big enough to pull the bolt through. i dunno. just my $.02
[/b]
I do admit that I am very tough on the bike. Plus I weight about 200 pounds. However, I had alignment issues from the day I put them on, and had never ridden the bike. After he rewelded the brackets and made new gussets for mine, they actually worked very well for about a month. I replaced foot peg inserts last week, mine were bent badly, the new ones you have to drill out yourself to make a more "custom" fit. As for the bolt pulling though I keep all bolts tight on my quad. I have had way to many bolts fall out mid race. The washer just ripped through the aluminum. I wanted to put a bigger washer on it, but I could not get it to fit due to the space between the bolt and the bottom of the heel guard. I will try to get pictures later on.

I do admit that I am very tough on the bike. Plus I weight about 200 pounds. However, I had alignment issues from the day I put them on, and had never ridden the bike. After he rewelded the brackets and made new gussets for mine, they actually worked very well for about a month. I replaced foot peg inserts last week, mine were bent badly, the new ones you have to drill out yourself to make a more "custom" fit. As for the bolt pulling though I keep all bolts tight on my quad. I have had way to many bolts fall out mid race. The washer just ripped through the aluminum. I wanted to put a bigger washer on it, but I could not get it to fit due to the space between the bolt and the bottom of the heel guard. I will try to get pictures later on.
[/b]
yeah definitely post some pics if possible. especially the heelguard where the bolt pulled through as i still find that strange. I mean there shouldn't be THAT much stress on that bolt unless you were jumping on the heelguard. mine are very sturdy and i made sure that i tightened everything evenly as to not put too much stress on any one single mounting point. i did have to use a few washers here and there to help them line up better (mostly on the rear brake side, brake lever actually hit the propeg mount), which i think definitely helps relieve stress from those mounting points that didn't want to line up perfectly. on a side note, if i had to buy nerfs all over again, i'd still buy the blingstars. I think they look pimp :fro: , and were worth the little bit of aggrivation that they caused during the install. although if mine end up breaking down the road i may have a change of heart. :bangbang:

Hey there's always Pro Armor, i know its not for everyones taste but if your looking at just nerfs definately check them out, My buddies have just the nerfs on their YFZ's and they went on great.

I dunno if I would admit to Tim being your buddy...might want to keep THAT on the DL... :p

I have always loved Blingstars, even if they are a little tough to get on. I also remember trying to save a penny and I put a set of AC racing skids on my other 400ex and it was damn near impossible till I got out the cutting wheel.
Also, look out for a new sub frame from Bling. I am lucky and live down the street from their new store and blew a chance to get free sub frame and other parts they were test fitting and since their bikes are back on the ESPN tour they called to use mine for fitment. Unfortunately I was late in my reply so they went elsewhere. I have always had great luck with Freddy, but I do hear a lot of people pissed at him.

Okay my time to vent! If you read my earlier post I was waiting for my grab bar and bumper from Blingstar since April? :huh: Well I got my grab bar today (Bumper still MIA) in the mail and the fender brackets are way off. One of them is either to low or to high. I would know which one if I could even get it on, as the width of the grab bar is not even wide enough to bolt it on without damaging it because I would need to spread it a good 1/4 inch and then the front would be too wide. Then the number plate braket is twisted so my plate would be on an angle. I showed my wife and even she could'nt believe how skewed this thing was. (She races too) Guys I have been racing/fixing quads for a while now and have experienced all the issues with AC and a few others, and I know most things need tweeking, but nowhere near this bad. I would just send it back normally for another but combined with this god awful wait no way, I'm refunding this :bangbang: Blingstar stuff! I think I'm going to order an AC bumper and grab bar to match my nerfs, at least I know that when I pull out my hammer it usually will fit. I've never broken an AC product either. I wish I did'nt drop my digital camera or i would post the pics for you.

Ha ha ha...I got an idea...send it to Wallace and see if he can get it on HIS bike...
[attachmentid=915]

But, Blingstar looks kickass. I dealt with the problems, so I wouldn't regret it down the road.

I think the blingers look the best. My buddy preaches ac, He had a ltz all worked over. I don't know about the acs after reading everybodys problems and now this with the blingstars. What the F_ck

Blingstar sucks!!! I ordered their "polished" nerf bars and got bars that had a matte finish. I had to wet sand, steel wool,and then polish them out for them to look polished. This took me and my friend over 6 hrs!! Then my husband had a hell of time getting them on. Also the ladie at Blingstar head quarters told me that the nerf bars would fit with my stock heel guards.......NOT. NE ways needless to say, I will never order their products again. Although I must say, they look sweeeeet!!

Ha ha ha...I got an idea...send it to Wallace and see if he can get it on HIS bike...
[attachmentid=915]
[/b]
He'd probably put them on his bedroom wall also! Even he would look at these and say "WTF"! :D

I mailed them back today and ordered the AC blackline series because I will take the screen out and mount the number plate there. So my hammer is out and waiting! :lol:

So far i have the Blingstar Front Bumper and it literally took a total of 2 min to install.....Unscrew 4 bolts, slap it on and screw em back in...Lines up Perfect. Now im still wanting the NERFS and HEELS but damn....Sucks like its gonna be a pain in the ass...Hell i cant even find a place that has them for sale now :(

I've got an AC bumper and grab bar which mounted up fine but run Rath nerfs. I do think these are the best nerfs I've ever installed or personally ran. Also everybody I know that does any kind of serious MX racing have broke the sh!t out of the Blingstars and switched to other brands.

Although I must say, they look sweeeeet!![/b]
Welcome to LTRHQ :fro:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.