Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Well, i've broken the billet 3rd gear set from ATP. This is my 4º third gear failure.

Changed on september has a life of twice oil changes (twice the normal, the third "normal" from Suzuki failed after one oil change).

So what can i do? I don't know :rolleyea: but it's obvious i can't have a quad that is breaking the third gear every two months.

I have a Suzuki K8 Black Edition with stock motor purchased new and the first three fixes entered by guarantee.

Today my Suzuki dealer will open the motor and see what happened. My entire motor will be transported to headquarters of Suzuki Spain (Gijón) to see tolerances of forks, etc, etc.

I will keep us informed if anyone cares.

My plan is buy another new quad, not a Suzuki of course, maybe a Yamaha YFZR or a Can Am DS MX.

But what makes me feel bad to have spent more than 4.000$ on extras by a quad that was not worth it.....

Bye bye Suzuki :sadwavey:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You don't know what part broke yet then?
Not yet.

But, i'm an expert hearing the noise of third gear broken (laughs not allowed) Why? Well it's the four time. The other three the noise was the same.

But ok, you're right, need to open the motor to see. I hope today the mechanic will open the motor and count how many teeth are broken... hope i'm wrong... but i don't think so...

Attention:
I'm not saying it's fault of ATP billet 3rd gear, I suppose on my gearbox there is something more wrong..... i don't underestand

What would you do if you broke the 3rd gear four times?

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Sell my quad.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello guys,

Well, i've broken the billet 3rd gear set from ATP. This is my 4º third gear failure.

Changed on september has a life of twice oil changes (twice the normal, the third "normal" from Suzuki failed after one oil change).

So what can i do? I don't know :rolleyea: but it's obvious i can't have a quad that is breaking the third gear every two months.

I have a Suzuki K8 Black Edition with stock motor purchased new and the first three fixes entered by guarantee.

Today my Suzuki dealer will open the motor and see what happened. My entire motor will be transported to headquarters of Suzuki Spain (Gijón) to see tolerances of forks, etc, etc.

My plan is buy another new quad, not a Suzuki of course, maybe a Yamaha YFZR or a Can Am DS MX.

But what makes me feel bad to have spent more than 4.000$ on extras by a quad that was not worth it.....

Maybe its how you ride!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hello guys,

it may be. but to be honest as long as you use the clutch it shouldn't really matter "How you ride" the Quad was built for racing. its should be able to handle it.

Sorry to hear about your tranny.. keep us posted on what was wrong.

This is why i went to a Honda

·
Registered
456 Posts
good luck to you. tell suzuki to fix this problem and thousands of people out there are having to spend alot of money to fix this problem and yet it still breaks sometimes

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dude sorry to hear about your tranny problems... hopefully mine doesnt have ur problems, but i saw that you were considering the new can-am, i was riding with a test rider from a large atv publication that was testing their MX version of the DS450 this weekend and every time we went out on the track he was pulled off trying to fix something, most of the time it was electrical, but i would look into the quads a little more before you go and pick one up, im thinking the new YFZR is going to be the ticket for you, let me know what you have on your quad that you would sell, i might be interested in having some spare stuff (head, cyl, stabilizer, maybe some other various parts)

·
Registered
48,610 Posts
You don't know what part broke yet then?
Not yet.

But, i'm an expert hearing the noise of third gear broken (laughs not allowed) Why? Well it's the four time. The other three the noise was the same.
Apart from noise, does it do that same thing?

Did a Suzuki shop do the repairs? Could maybe get a new tranny installed under warranty before you sell or trade in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 2 ltrs. 1 for mx and 1 for flat track. Both pushing out over 60hp. Havent had a tranny problem at all. But when I built both motors I had everything torn down and went through before going back together. No sense in having all that power if the tranny wont take it. Maybe try having someone else rebuild it for you? Maybe the other people are missing some small thing that they are re-using that keeps causing the problem?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your opinions!!

@foxmotocrosser04
Well, i don't think so.. but ok it's a theory.... I always use my clutch to pull gears, up and down. Also i have another quad, a Yamaha Raptor 350 without tranny problems during two years. Is much coincidence is always only the third gear damaged.

Maybe try having someone else rebuild it for you? Maybe the other people are missing some small thing that they are re-using that keeps causing the problem?
Yeps, that's could be!!! I think it's a good idea sent my entire motor to Suzuki central on Spain to inspect all of the rest of the gearbox components and the complete motor.

@hinkle
Apart from noise, does it do that same thing?
Same noise, it's like a loose chain on the front sprocket... believe me, i know this noise perfectly. I prefer stop the quad to avoid more damage and split cases.

Did a Suzuki shop do the repairs? Could maybe get a new tranny installed under warranty before you sell or trade in.
Yes, always. 2 first was on a official Suzuki dealer shop (where i bought the quad), and the two last at other shop, but too Suzuki dealer shop.

I have a good friend with a Suzuki LTR K7 (2007) with 0 transmisions problems or motor problems. The quad runs perfect. I know that not all K8 are breaking!! but why some of them?

Also thanks Melissa and Mike from ATP why? They helped me with technical explanations about the gearbox and related.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
All I got to say is that I will be impressed if you took third gear out!!! I've been trouble free since I installed the gears. And I do my own engine work.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
so any word on why it keeps breaking?

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
This is first of the billets I've heard of breaking.....I ain't wonderin if one of the snap rings are breaking letting it float around. Then again when my '09 gears went the snap rings were still good.....WTF I don't know. I'm just gonna ride mine till it goes IF it goes again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Busted a 3rd gear billet(ATP) in less than 10 minutes of being installed? This makes the 4th 3rd gear in this quad!! Anyone got any suggestions? I am at my wits end with this engine, and I we cant afford to keep dumping money into it!! Please HELP ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Put in 06-07 tranny?.... I've had good luck with mine......It's weird how 2 billets have given way in low operating times. Are you sure you're assembling them together correctly?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.