Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Suzuki LTR450, Cherry Bomb, air intake cap removed, bored out stock muffler
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello LTR Community,

I am reaching out to y'all with the not so simple question of; What is the best sprocket gearing ratio for drag racing on the dunes? I am currently running a stock 06 LTR 450 with the HMF Cherry Bomb, removed air intake lid, stock muffler with spark arrestor and baffle inserts deleted. My gearing is 13 teeth in the front and 37 teeth in the rear, with an 8 cupped 20x11-10 set of sand tires. Im always the first off the line with insane acceloration, but tend to lose out on top speed and get passed by others later in the race because I am geared down so much. What is my ideal gearing for drags on the dunes, and how can I maximize my performance with the setup I currenlty have when refferring to gearing and tire sizes?

Any and all comments will be very much appreciated, thank you!

P.S.
When doing dirt drags, I've beat all kinds of 450 quads in different makes and 450 dirt bikes (INSANLEY SUPRISING) with the exact setup I have listed above. My issue is coming out on top when running on sand.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
Your gearing is low, which will be good out of the hole however you lose it on the top end.

stick with the 14/36 which was stock. You could also go down a size or 2 to the rear.

Look at the chart below and figure out what is best for you.

·
Registered
2006 Suzuki LTR450, Cherry Bomb, air intake cap removed, bored out stock muffler
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,
You really think it is smart to stay with the stock ratio? A lot of people say that you can get more out of the machine performance wise if I change up the gearing from stock. But if you think it’s best to stay stock then I will revert and try it out. I also noticed that you highlighted the output ratio and the difference between the two. What sort of ratio number should I try to shoot for?

Your gearing is low, which will be good out of the hole however you lose it on the top end.

stick with the 14/36 which was stock. You could also go down a size or 2 to the rear.

Look at the chart below and figure out what is best for you.

View attachment 34489

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
All I did was highlight what you are at now vs what came on the quad. Stock is a 2.571 you are at a 2.769

Why not go back to stock and see what you are doing and then that will help you see if you want to go with something different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts