Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures to help illistrate what im talking about. Basically, the cam holders (not sure what the proper names of these two pieces are) are VERY vunerable to damage when removing them from the head to remove/replace the cams.

The dowl pin holes (two per holder) are so close to the edge of where the cam journals are that when removing them from the bike, you can easily distort the aluminum in that area to where when bolted back on, it would destroy the jounal and cam surface in no time. The cam will bind and the only way to free up is when material gets shaved right off both the cam and the holder making for disaster.

These pieces IMO could be redesigned a little better. I would like to see an actual bearing like say Honda uses myself!

You can damage these holders just by rocking that holder back and fourth to remove it. They can be stiff to get off but my recommendation is to try to pop it straight up and off.

Hope i explained it correctly and you guys will get the idea with the help of the pictures. If not ask and ill give another crack at explaining it better.

· Premium Member
3,816 Posts
You're rght King,

I haven't opened mine up yet but they look just like the ones off the Z400. Another thing to watch out for is make sure you use a torque wrench on the valve cover because you can actually crack the Cam Journal Holder if you torque it too much. Don't ask me how I know (did it on the Z400). I can tell you that JB weld and Helicoil works wonders though. :D

· Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Also, I dont know about the ones you guys have apart, but be carful that the dowl pins do not fall out of the cam towers and end up in your engine. I noticed that the press fit on the LTR's I have done is not as tight as some of the other engines.

1,381 Posts
Thanks Gary... that's good to know. Also another thing I will bring up is the fact that a person can't simply buy new cam journal holders if they distort/crack one beyond repair. They are mated to the head and line bored for that head. It will take a complete new head if one gets screwed up which is only $511 :blink:

· Registered
2,630 Posts
This thread is getting a one-way ticket to the important info forum

· Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Excellent post & excellent information :D

· Registered
367 Posts
Thanks Gary... that's good to know. Also another thing I will bring up is the fact that a person can't simply buy new cam journal holders if they distort/crack one beyond repair. They are mated to the head and line bored for that head. It will take a complete new head if one gets screwed up which is only $511 :blink:
[/b]
Im not going to argue because i really dont know, but thats not been the case for me before. Is that ltr450 specific or for any head? On the z400 i used like 5 different cam holders on the same head and they all worked perfect. I had a few spare heads before for the z400 and wanted to make sure all the holders worked properly. I only had five to swap because ruined one trying to get it out :p

· Premium Member
3,816 Posts
They are definately mated. I tried to buy just the cam journal holder and that's how I found out. This is the reason I went to the JB putty weld and the Helicoil.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/b]

Yes sir! I bout fell off my chair when i looked that holder up only to find you cannot purchase it seperatly. Thats just crazy. Im not buying a whole head. I doctored that thing up to damn near perfect and it is good as new....well almost new ;)

Glad you guys liked the post. I stood there and thought, "do i go get the camera with all this oil on my hands and take a photo?" Digital cameras rule.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gary did you find a set of "special" cams?
[/b]
No sir Alex. The intake cam im running appears to be the very same cam Yosh sells. Crower actually made that cam for Yosh to resell. So the Yosh cam is virtually a Crower cam.

In the end Crower came through on what he promised. I got the cam done very quickly. He pressed off and on the stock cam gear from the stocker onto the new cam for me which was a huge help. Two thumbs up to those guys.

Bike is making alot of midrange-bottom end. Ill definetly get some dyno runs up when Matt gets time for me on his dyno.

I will say when Hotcams comes out with something id be sure to try that out too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.