Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Hows the battery life on these?
well they have a 3 year warrenty. I bought mine off ebay so i dont know if they will cover it though when bought off ebay

·
Registered
229 Posts
That looks sharp man! I like the idea of ditching that stupid catch can too! Hey, do you think that little 4 cell will run that Rigid 10" LED light bar?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah, I suppose that's true. I JUST started putting my bike back together last night, so now's the time. I think I may go with something in between your idea and benders. I don't have an airbox, nor mad skills to build cool boxes out of aluminim. I'm thinking about ditching the battery box, the vent box, the catch bottle, and then mount the 4-cell in close to the stock location out in the open. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have you owned both the 4 cell and the 8 cell?

Is the 8 cell still smaller?

And possibly still be fitted inside the airbox?
i have. i ran the 4-cell this summer, which was plenty to turn my stock motor over. started better than the stock battery. as someone mentioned i hacked up my stock box and basically mounted the battery in the open-air.

bear with me.

fit and worked great... until the battery took a crap. i'm fairly certain the failure mode was the terminals for the special charger plug-in; i pulled the rubber cap off and they were all badly corroded with your normal blue acid-battery-post substance, and the battery would only read 3.x volts, no matter how slow i tried to charge it.

anyways i spoke with the president of the company on the phone and he sent me a new one, no questions asked. like didnt even ask when/where i bought it. he also insisted he send me an 8-cell. while on paper the CCA and other numbers look better than a regular stock battery, he was telling me some explanation about how those ratings aren't truly a good measure of a battery's capabilities, especially with Li Ion techonology, but being such a small company they have no pull in the industry to do anything about it, and people want apples-to-apples numbers, hence them using the industry-standard ratings. i told him what it was going in and he recommended the 8-cell. so i didn't argue.

while i waited for my replacement, i borrowed a buddy's 4-cell so i could make a race at redbud. few weeks after that i went to ride again and his battery totally went dead on me... read 0 volts. so first thing i did when i got home was check the charger terminals, and sure enough, blue corrosion. cleaned them up with an old tooth brush, held my breath and tested the voltage, and sure enough 13.6v... very strange. naturally i grabbed my original 4-cell and tried to clean it up, but no dice.

SO. while i recommend the company based on their customer service alone, take care to protect those terminals. actually on my new 8-cell i just filled the charger terminals with clear silicone... i'll never use/buy the special charger anyways.

funny i stumbled across this thread through a google search... i am also in the process of relocating the 8-cell to inside the battery box. i have it mounted inside so far; the IAT sensor has to be moved, and i am currently extending the power cables. i bought a used battery box to mount it in like normal, but it is taller than the stock battery and after starting to hack the top of ANOTHER box i decided to just relocate it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Great input.

Try Vaseline on them terminals. You still may get corrosion under the silicone.

Any noticeable differences in performance since upgrading to the 8 cell?
the silicone treatment is already done. regardless i will be keeping a close eye on it. i power wash after every moto and practice, so i figured (or learned perhaps?) it was a no-brainer to fill it with something... vaseline, never thought of that.

i haven't had the chance to actually turn the bike over with the 8-cell... i'm still in the process of mounting it and extending the cables.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Awwwe, watching this outcome and that will be sweet to get that 8 cell in the airbox. How well did it fit? Im running the smaller k&n filter with the adapter so It leaves the side pretty well all open. Im thinking of doing the same that your doing. I dont like all that electrical stuff that close to the elements in the stock location.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There is a red spray that I use for car batterys to stop corrosion. Would it work the same for Lithium Ion battery?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have replaced 2 x4cell and 1x 8cell first one went bad I called got a replacement no questions asked this Tim it's been weeks waiting for and answer and now they want them back. My 8 cell shows 13.6 volts but won't crank over the atv we will see so far they just don't last

·
Registered
644 Posts
Awwwe, watching this outcome and that will be sweet to get that 8 cell in the airbox. How well did it fit? Im running the smaller k&n filter with the adapter so It leaves the side pretty well all open. Im thinking of doing the same that your doing. I dont like all that electrical stuff that close to the elements in the stock location.
so i finished up the relocation last night. everything fits pretty good:

i had to relocate the IAT sensor which wasn't a big deal. you can see the notch in the rim of the battery box behind the battery, and i have a small hole in the bottom of the box just wide enough for a standard large hose clamp to go around the battery and secure it (have to stop to grab one on the way home from work tonight). i think it should live well there though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a 4cell on the way. Going to make some sort of box and eventually a carbon fiber one time permitting. Probably upgrade the battery cables while I'm at it.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
so i finished up the relocation last night. everything fits pretty good:

i had to relocate the IAT sensor which wasn't a big deal. you can see the notch in the rim of the battery box behind the battery, and i have a small hole in the bottom of the box just wide enough for a standard large hose clamp to go around the battery and secure it (have to stop to grab one on the way home from work tonight). i think it should live well there though.
Where did you put your solenoid and fuses and stuff?

Show some more pics!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I recently got an 8 for mine, it took a shit immediately. Hoping it was just a defect. It literally started the bike twice, let it sit for an hour, tried again...COMPLETELY DEAD. Have a new one Wednesday, hoping for better results

·
Registered
183 Posts
Awwwe that looks good there shiftx450 I like it. Where did ya put the other electrical crap thats down on the stock box?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Where did you put your solenoid and fuses and stuff?

Show some more pics!
i shaved the battery box some more and left them on the stock perch for the time being.. maybe over the winter if i get bored i will relocate them as well to really clean it up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
has anyone actually had one of these last lately? not sure if they fixed the problem but im looking at getting one. id prefer the 4 cell if it will start my motor which the stock one does but i dont want it to work for 2 starts and take a crap as ive been reading.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
mine is still working but now it's just my second battery for my 24v system

41 - 60 of 92 Posts