Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
battery

Yes I was out at speed on my crf hybrid. That is correct that the ballistic website states 300cc.. however our motors are not that high of compression on start up due to the decomp. Do the homework..

Yuasa...ytx7a-bs
voltage = 12.0 v
cca = 105
amp/hr = 7

Ballistic evo 2 4 cell
voltage = 13.6 peak
cca = 135
amp/hr = 8

Conclusion: More cranking amps, actually same voltage as during charging, more amp hrs, lighter, smaller, 3x the warranty.. need I say more? Also I shielded my box with 2000 degree thermo barrier to help with heat, also wrapped the aluminum box in it. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
alot of people are looking at this upgrade for xc racing with dead engine starts. The 4 cell would prob be enough for mx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
battey

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.. even though I don't care but I don't understand why any of you would think the 4 cell is not enough or even questionable... I just posted the numbers its pretty damn clear that the 4 cell is going to turn faster, and harder then the stock battery and that works fine???

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very interested in how this turns out! Could you snap a pic or two of the left side of the bike where the battery USED to be and your fuel pump relocation? My bike is currently just a frame right now, so if I was going to do a couple mods, now would be the time. I'd have to make a few changes since I run the FUEL ATV intake, which hsa no box to put that stuff in. Hmmmm... Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ill try to get some pics tomorrow its kind of a mess because i just pulled the head for porting and valves. The fuel pump is being switched to a crf pump in the tank. With the tank I'm building the battery could be placed forward next to the stem. And intake options would be open to whatever.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think I like the idea of putting that battery further forward anyway. I started thinking about weight and ballance issues. With the setup you have now, you're pullling, say, 8lbs from in front of the engine, and adding 2 or so well behind it. Not positive someone would notice that, but it's something to think about. Putting the lighter battery system even further forward than the existing one should negate that issue...and solve my lack of airbox problem...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think your splitting hairs worrying about where the weight is the setup is so light. But understand your going from probably a 350 dollar mod to a thousand dollar mod. Unless u got skills.... and even then its more expensive....just this way u have to make a mount to hold the battery, mod the harness, build a new subharness for the solenoid and get the battery

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
well i ordered the 12 cell i guess i will be the guinie pig for the xc racers. I will let you know what i have to do to make it fit. I may end up making a new battery box before it is said and done so i hope it works amazing. If not it will work great for my custom chopper lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
I very well may be splitting hairs. I said I wasn't sure if it mattered. And I know you're setup is gonna be light, but the old one is heavy. That's the change in balance I wondered about. I don't know anything about the kicker kit, and if one could tell a difference in balance from loosing the weight of the battery from in front of the engine. Hey, I'm all about shedding 5 or 6 pounds from this thing just from changing up a starting system...

·
frescasipper
801 Posts
well i ordered the 12 cell i guess i will be the guinie pig for the xc racers. I will let you know what i have to do to make it fit. I may end up making a new battery box before it is said and done so i hope it works amazing. If not it will work great for my custom chopper lol
Just cut out the box and show it off like bender does, looks sweet to me.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Just cut out the box and show it off like bender does, looks sweet to me.
does he have any pictures of that setup on the forum? I may end up going that route

·
frescasipper
801 Posts
Yup he sure does, look for his graphic kit thread.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The 12 cell fit perfect all i had to do was sand off the plastic terminal protectors on the battery so the wires could sit on them the right direction.I also took the terminal mounting bolts and ground them down on the belt sander so the heads were only about 1/16". I can start in gear now with no issues. I think its going to be a great alternative to a 24v system for xc racing!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
clean up

The bikes pretty dirty, but here is the side all cleaned up. I put a right side motor mount on to get rid of the box mounts. Used a yzf vent hose and clamps for the vent tubes and ditched the catch can.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Saweeeet!

Do you notice a big difference in starting performance?

Does this charge itself off of the quad?
Ya i think it starts better for sure. The stock charging system will work with this battery. If i push the throttle while trying to start the wheeler it will still stall the starter though. But it starts in gear with my clutch dragging a bit just fine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hows the battery life on these?

Edit: Comes with a 3 year warranty, supposed to have twice the life of a normal battery. I'm going to assume you need to use their charger in order for the warranty to be valid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
fuel tank

I haven't really messed with it in awhile. I have the pump fitting and everything in cad from when I did my hybrid crf. I just haven't had time to get another one cut or even really give it any attention at all. Probably get cracking again beginning of november.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts